Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speaker Glue

Hi all
Does anyone know what is the best glue to glue the speaker cone (at the rim) to the metal rim. The cone is loose all the way around the speaker and I am trying to glue it back. The speaker is working and the voice coil is not rubbing just want to try to glue it back, wondering what a good glue to use Icon_smile.
thanks
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

I used to use general purpose contact cement, some use G.C service cement which is fine for gluing a cone to a basket but not for fixing tears.
Whatever you do don't use silicone for anything related to a speaker.
Regards
Arran

Arran Wrote:Whatever you do don't use silicone for anything related to a speaker.

Why is that Arran?

I had a couple of speakers with tiny moth holes in them that was causing a vibration problem at mid volume because the cone was thin in those spots. I used some liquid tape to cover the holes and found it worked great... and solved the vibration problem.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I think silicone and liquid tape are a little too think and add weight to the cone. Same goes for rubber cement. I like the use Ailene's Tacky Glue diluted with a little water so it soaks into the cone material plus coffee filter patches as needed. Basically the same idea as Syl's technique found elsewhere in this forum. Plain old Elmers white glue diluted works well too.

Here's a nice repair with tacky glue.
[Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/86201...908b_z.jpg]

Here's an ugly repair with rubber cement. It sounds pretty crappy.
[Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8241/86201...b4aa_z.jpg]

Not only does silicone thick and go on in gobs it has a nasty habit of coming loose and causing rattle or buzzing noises. I don't know where the whole idea of using silicone came from but I have had to scrape enough of it off of speaker cones over the years to know that it should stay around the bathtub and away from speakers. Rubber cement is iffy, if its reasonably fresh and smooth, like fresh contact cement, then it could work. Fabric glue works, the glue pen glue works, although it does get sticky again if wetted, I've been told that Thompsons water sealer also works though it is not cheap. I've never tried liquid tape but I have been using a type of black 3M rubber adhesive that seems to work well, and if it ends up too thick a quick wipe with lacquer thinner fixes it.
Regards
Arran

Arran/Bob thanks for the info. I have used rubber cement for a small cone tear but put it on very thin, just enough to wet the cone and mend the tear ( in fact it looks much like Bob's first picture above), we'll see how it holds up.

I've always used plain old rubber cement - thin bead both sides.

Chuck

I'm with you, Chuck. I've done some large repairs using rubber cement (and toilet paper, coffee filters etc.). It flows into the tears and is flexable when it dries.

Eric

O k thanks for the replays but I guess I did not explain good enough. There is no repairs to the cone the cone is in good shape. The cone has come unglued from the "basket rim" so what I need to know is the best glue to glue the paper cone to the metal basket, paper to metal. Icon_biggrin. The voice coil seems to be centered. I just need to glue the rim. It is a 12inch speaker.
Thanks. Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

My favorite is contact cement. It remains flexible and sticks to just about anything, including paper and metal. You can apply it to the interface between both surfaces, wait about a minute and press firmly. The bond will be formed and no further clamping will be necessary.

Yep, contact cement.

Chuck