Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 41-280 "slide Rule" dial

Hi , I am working on a 41-280 . There is a sheet of mylar behind the dial scale that is white in color and supported by two wire springs. I am making this part as the originals were lost. I am not sure about the details of this plastic. It has a cut out on the right side for the band switch light to shine through. That I know this from the little piece I do have. Is the plastic behind the station number solid ? Or are there cutouts in it as well ? Is the dial pointer behind this plastic or in front of it ? Does anyone have a pic of this original part they can pass on? Thanks!

Hi Bill,

I'm going to be a little busier than usual this week, so if someone else doesn't get this info for you, I can do so later this week. I could pull the sheet out of the one I'm working on and scan it for you at that time.

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Hi Bill , Thank you for the offer to scan this part. Please do not rush to do it . I will keep busy on other things that I know what to do with. I appreciate the offer as otherwise I am clueless on this. My current attempt at making it was not useable.I held a small flashlight behind it to test it and I know it is not right by that . So I came back to plead for help!

Thanks !!!
Bill T

Bill , Do not disassemble your radio dial !!! .I found an intact one locally and already made the part. Thanks again for the offer to scan the part it is much appreciated !!!

OK, Bill. Glad it worked out for you. I've got mine almost ready for the world - how's yours going?

Bill

Bill , I fired it up a couple of days ago . First I tried it on the bench with no speaker attached . I skipped the variac routine and used a inline fuse instead. No smoke just one bad light bulb. Changed that out with a #46 vs # 44 same voltage lower current. Then I put it in the cabinet and within 30 sec had a station coming over the speaker! Tried the Sw bands and had stations up and down on all bands. Not only that but the volume and clarity were both good. I was (and still am) hoping to learn how to electrically align this set. But I don't think it needs more than a slight dial adjustment .Not bad for the first time restringing a radio! This is the second Philco console for me and both started right up with all original tubes. Granted both radios were totally sleeved and capped. Still to me that is impressive. The Philco people really built great stuff ! My biggest issues are still cosmetic. The dial looks great Just a matter of getting the right thickness of mylar and trial and error. The escutcheon is good and the knobs even better. But the "brass" strip I bought from Rock Sea was not so good. It is basically a plastic decal without even the correct words on it . I used it and did not complain to them .I'm sure if I read the catalog carefully it would have detailed what it was. I will replace it later. Just wasn't what I expected. I need to buy find or make station tabs. But the most annoying thing is the glass dial or chassis does not fit tight to the escutcheon. I have a 1/4" gap between it. I think the glass should park right up against the escutcheon? I will figure it out . Must be something stopping it just can't see what. To sum up it when something this old starts right up you have to be happy about it ! Hope your luck is likewise !

Sounds like it's going pretty good. I'll need top order the same strip from Rock Sea, so I'll need to check carefully to make sure I get the right one.

I've discovered an intermittent somewhere in the front end. It'll pass 455 Khz just fine, but that's about it. It would occasionally come back if I jockeyed the bandswitch a little, but now I can only get signal by tapping the heel of the screwdriver in "never the same place".

Obviously, I missed something the first time through, so it's back on the bench. I'll post what I find, hopefully soon.

At least it looks good - I'll post a picture when the film gets developed (hey...I'm old fashioned - no digital camera yet!). Icon_smile

Bill

Bill , here is a little more detail on the Rock Sea sticker .Mine is "Volume "
"Bass" "Treble" "Tuning" left to right . I think it should be "Bass" "Volume " "Band" " Tuning " left to right .Or something like that.
Also sticker did not stick or I did not do it right.So I glued it in a couple spots. I think if you get the correct labels it will be ok or better.

Sounds like you have a loose wire.Hopefully thats all it is and you will find it easily on the bench. Keep plugging !!!

I found the problem on mine - the ground connection on the detector XXL was intermittent. That explains why it was acting the way it was, so we're back in business! Icon_smile

It's back in the cabinet, and now in the family room. I borrowed the escutcheon and knobs from the 41-250 for now, and I'll have a picture posted when I get the roll of film shot up in my camera and processed. It sounds terrific!

Bill

Bill, I was wondering how you where making out . Some times a little problem makes it more memorable ! Glad to see you got it and it was just a loose connection ! Now that you got yours going it will probally not give you any more trouble. I am taking a break for holidays.To much work to be done and not much time.Was thinking of doing a phono to play large collect of 78's .Or a cathedral or tombstone next. Not right away.Have all the tools to do alginment also . Have to learn how to do that properly yet. Anyway I am glad to hear you got it and it is sounding good !!!

I finally got a picture of the 41-280, and it's all dressed up for the holidays!

[Image: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/p...41-280.jpg]

It's not "officially" done, but it's close enough. I borrowed the escutcheon and knobs from the 41-250 (excuse me...the "Log Cabin" radio Icon_smile ), and some tubes from assorted locations, but when I get them ordered, it's all done.

We enjoyed listening to holiday music through it, and it now has a place to reside in our family room.

Bill