Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photos of the Philco 96! (before)

Here are some photos! I am excited to start! I am happy to find that the speaker "unplugs" and isnt hardwired to the chassis. Other than tube changes, it doesnt look like anyones obviously worked on this guy!

http://imgur.com/a/1qI5m

I uploaded some images into an imgur album.

Before you start, you should know that at one time, that cabinet had longer legs.

I wondered!!!!! D***it. The photos I found online were all taller. Shoot. Should I even bother, now?[/u]

Well. that is why I wanted you to know. For some people it would not matter. If I am going to put time and money into a radio, I want it to look original (factory) when I get done. Hard to do when the legs are cut down.

The legs can be replaced, I have done so before on a Canadian Marconi cabinet, in my case it was because the originals were damaged not missing. A new set could be made up by someone into wood turning or a used set could be harvested from a junk cabinet and transplanted onto yours. In fact since this lowboy cabinet was pretty popular during the late 1929, 1930 and 1931 model years you may even be able to locate a decent empty cabinet, that is unless that exact cabinet has sentimental value of some sort.
Regards
Arran

No sentimental value to the cabinet, except I'd like to keep the original speaker cloth. Thanks for the suggestion...

Not sure why anyone would decide to do this! My thought is that perhaps one of the legs broke, and rather than repair, the previous owner hacked them off, or, they just plain wanted it "shorter". I did see photos online of others and thought something was off, but then figured, well, I probably just have a little "different" model or whatever.

I guess I will have to think about this one....integrity is important to me. I do like the look of the radio, I will be keeping it, just not sure what route I'll take now.

Thanks again.

It also seem to be missing to large tube shield that is mounted across the back of the chassis. It's a common problem which makes them hard to come by.
GL
Terry

There is a fellow named Chuck in NJ who can make an excellent reproduction of that 96 shield. If interested, let me know and I'll provide his email address.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN