Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Broadcasting over a 48-464

A fellow radio collector told me about a cheap AM transmitter that, despite being a child's toy, is quite effective for "broadcasting" music or old time radio shows to an antique radio (at 1610 on the dial) via the built in cassette tape deck on the unit or the audio jack that can be used for a CD player or iPod. It's called "Radio DJ" by Wild Planet. Supposedly it used to be sold at Toys-R-Us stores earlier in the decade, but examples can still be found on eBay for around $20. This is where I got mine. I tried it out today on my 1948 Philco 48-464 by broadcasting a song from an old Bing Crosby radio show. I'm impressed at how well it works! See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfmoqXF5CUI

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I've used one of these for a few years now on my AM radios. A nice long wire antenna running vertically thru a plumbing chase covers the whole house. Used it last Halloween to receive an old cassette of Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" on my 37-630. Also used at Christmas with some 50 cent flea market Holiday cassettes. I like the adjustable built in microphone and sound effects. Still haven't figured out how to get both sides of a 3.5 mm stereo input from my i-pod to work with the built in mono input jack, although my old CD Walkman does have a stereo/mono switch. Use a matching 7.5 VDC? wall wart transformer connected thru battery terminals to replace AA battery power, since there is no power input jack on it.