Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Repurpose a Philco

Mis4tun81:

Allow me to welcome you to the Phorum, as well as to the wonderful world of antique radio! The responses you received to your original post are to be expected; because, by and large, those of us in this hobby are interested in the preservation of vintage radios and related items.

Here's my thoughts: Like the others, I too would prefer that the radio be preserved. I saw photos of a 38-7 chairside recently somewhere, and was shocked to see that two USB ports and an audio cable with plug was added to the set's top control panel. Yes, some doofus drilled holes in the top to add the extra stuff. That could have been added somewhere out of sight, and cables ran up from underneath with a couple USB jacks and an audio cable with a plug.

But I also recognize that there are some radios which are in poor condition and are prime candidates for "repurposing." At my yard sale last Saturday, I had a 42-1011 that was missing some parts, with a big FREE sign on it. It was destined for heavy trash pickup if someone didn't rescue it. A fellow came along, looked the set over, and told me of his plans to "repurpose" it into an audio control unit.

I wished him well as he and his friend loaded it into their truck. If he does his work well, he can put a new wood panel where the large escutcheon once was, and install things to his heart's content in that new panel. That way, the modifications are reversible.

Reversible mods, I don't have a problem with. Mods that destroy the radio as it was and that render it unfit for restoration, well, I do have a problem with that.

That's one man's opinion.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Looks Like I was close guessing it was a 37-33f

its a 625S

[Image: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa195...fabf5f.jpg]

[Image: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa195...5b2ecb.jpg]

[Image: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa195...0f8c0b.jpg]

Welcome to the Phorum!

Here is another thought........You have a pretty decent looking Philco there, and not a real high production model. If you chose, there is a vast amount of knowledge and help here on the Phorum to get your set playing again. AND---if you wanted, you actually could hook up a whole house transmitter and play whatever you want THROUGH your living room showpiece!

Just my nickel's worth.

Gene

The heavy wooden cabinet will work very well for a subwoofer. Remove and save original speaker, securely mount sub speaker or sub speaker cabinet in the back of radio cabinet and directly behind old speaker hole. The old wooden cabinet should give you very good subwoofer resonance, giving it an even deeper feel than a particle board enclosure. From your pictures, the radio cabinet and chassis seems to be in good shape and a good candidate for restoration. Nowadays, your chevron grill cloth is probably the most collectable item from this radio, since there now no new reproductions of that style currently being made.

Or you could just buy this - For what it's worth (and it isn't $1250).

http://medford.craigslist.org/atq/3638238681.html

You have a loose tube... No really, look at the pic.

Glad you had a change of heart.

Tim

The Philco 625 is from the 1936 model year, and it's actually a decent radio even though it isn't a top end model. It has six tubes, three bands, with a tuned RF amplifier stage, the 37-33F while the cabinet looks similar, is a single band battery operated radio. This is actually a lot better of a set then I was expecting, I'm not 100% certain of this but I think the veneer in the front panel may be real. What's more it still has good original grille cloth. Unlike a battery radio it's more practical to restore and actually use as a radio.
I think the suggestion of using an old sideboard, or some similar cabinet, maybe a good idea. One thing that people used to do around here was buy wardrobes that a local auctioneer would import from Wales and Scotland, build some shelving on the inside, and use it to house their TVs and other electronics equipment. A wardrobe is kind of big for your purposes but you get the idea, but there are all kinds of cabinets, shelves, and even steamer trunks that could be retrofitted with minimal effort.
Regards
Arran

Gutting a classic pre-war radio to refill it with modern equipment would be like blasting away Mount Rushmore to put up more modern presidents faces!! History needs to be preserved and appreciated, not tossed to the side! Please, don't do it!!! Take care. Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I found out through looking through the gallery that your set is a 625S, as opposed to a 625J which is also a console, or a 625B which is a tombstone style table set. The 625S was the least expensive of the two consoles at $59.95 as opposed to $69.95 for the 625J, it may also be somewhat rarer. The 625 debut in January 1936 as a revised version of a Philco 620, the main difference between the 620 and the 625 is that the 625 has a shadow mask that moves up or down behind the dial to illuminate what ever band is selected. Also your example, though it is in need of a refinish, is much more original then the set featured in the gallery. I have a 620B and I am here to tell you that it is a hot performer, a very sensitive and selective set that will run circles around the majority of new AM radios.
Regards
Arran

Hi and welcome!
I am happy you have decided not to hack up your set. I mean, how many people do you know that have an actual restored 1930's tube radio? I would guess,none. It would be something to show off, the old technology and how good it sounds.
The guys here can help you if and when it comes time to do a refurbishing of the chassis (recapping). The cabinet might take well to a good cleanup, then a coat of paste wax.The little scratches, ect are part of the set's history. The top of course needs to be redone. The right stain, and/or lacuqer toners will loook good. Do not use polyurethane.

If you are still interested in filling a cabine with modern stuff, there is a radio swapmet in Kutztown coming up. They have a bonfire at the end (?) f the meet where guted cabinets are thrown in the fire. You cold probably find something there to do your modding. In that case, it might be a lot more acceptable than gutting a complete radio and chassis.
Good luck and come on back when you are ready to tackle the Philco restoration. You WILL NOT regret it.

mis4tun81, I'd like to welcome you to the Phorum as well, and add a 'thank you' for appreciating the history in this set and deciding not to re-purpose it. I'm a little different than some members on the phorum in that I don't see anything wrong with putting an old cabinet to a new use, but one that is traveling without its component bits. What you have here is a fundamentally intact unit that is a worthy candidate for restoration.

I hope that you decide to restore this set to functionality some day, and I wish you well with your endeavors to find a cabinet that is just a cabinet and do something totally cool with it!