Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help Identifying radio

Hi Everyone - I am inheriting a radio and I would really like to identify it so I can begin restoring. Unfortunately it looks to be missing a plate on the front and there are no labels that I can find so it's been tough so far. Based on what I've found in the gallery and through my own research I believe it to be Philco Model F possibly...

Does anyone recognize this type of radio?

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like a 1933 Airline Radio. Can you post a clear pic of the chassis and tell us how many tubes there are and what kind they are?

Nice, I hadn't heard of those yet. I just updated the pics above, do those help? I believe there are 4 tubes. Thanks!

Based on what you said, i did find a very similar looking radio here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/montgomery_...e_119.html

I inspected the radio it does look like there used to be a few pieces over the speaker area that were broken off. the major difference though between mine and the one in the link above is the presence of a fourth knob. The radio in the link has one extra than what mine has.

It has ten tubes, there are more tubes inside the aluminum cans. It's too bad that the dial escutcheon is missing and the speaker grille is broken out. It should be possible to find another escutcheon with some searching, as for the grill that could be replicated but you would need to make a pattern from the grille in an identical cabinet.
Regards
Arran

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that my family has the dial escutcheon somewhere as they thought it was on there originally when we got it. as for the grillle pattern, how would you recommend I go about finding another to make the pattern from?

Most likely made by Wells-Gardner, who was a major supplier of radios for Montgomery Wards (Airline). They used that same dial on other models, so you might get lucky and find an escutcheon that fits.

Tim KA3JRT