Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA Record Changers

After doing some tinkering around today for a shop up north, I have a need for info on the 1950's RCA, four speed record changers. One thing I'd like to know is: Is there a bulletin out there that shows how to work these critters? This guy has two very nice condition RCA Hi-fi units. One floor model with a five tube, transformered chassis that has been recapped. Great sounding unit, but the changer won't work right. It works smoothly, but won't detect the record and keeps shutting down after each record drops. It rejects correctly at the end of the records though. The other unit is a table model with legs that will probably have the same issues. One or both could be mine if we can figure them out. The repair guy I know has no love for these changers. Icon_sad

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hi Jayce
If you can get a model # for the set you can probably find it in Sam's Photofact.
Terry

I will have to ask the model numbers the next time I see the guy. I am thinking a good cleaning and relubing will help a lot of the issues.

It may be a cleaning and relubrication issue, or it could be that someone oiled a part that should not have been oiled.
Regards
Arran

I have done some research and am pretty sure I am now dealing with an RCA RP-205 changer up at the guy's shop on both units. I found a thread on ARF that details a restoration of one of these units in detail and I hope to apply that. One question I do have. How does the turntable come off the unit? I have never seen a clip on these units. Does it just pop off like some other turntables? I must admit, these seem to be better quality units than even I gave them credit for.