Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Great Grandmother's Philco

Hello all,
Brand new to the site. I just came across my GG's floor radio, while cleaning out my grandmother's garage. She said to dump it, but that just doesn't seem right. I'd like to sell it. It's been sitting under boxes for over 12 years so I do not believe it works. I'm not sure of the outside physical condition either. I will get specs in the next couple of days. I'd be really appreciative if folks on here could give me some direction once I pull it out and am able to take photos and give more details.
Thanks. I live in San Francisco.

Get pics of the radio, also a model would help the model numbers are usually on a golden sticker on the back of the radio chassis, or on a sticker on the inside side of the radio's cabinet.

-Keith

Also consider the idea of keeping it. Most of us would love to have a radio our parents, grand parents, or (even rarer) a great grandparent used to own and use for entertainment and news.

Post the model # and some pictures and we'll advise you of what you have, how to restore it yourself, or assist you in finding someone who could do it for you. In the meantime please DO NOT PLUG THE RADIO IN. I know it is tempting, but being that old, and sitting for so long, it might damage an expensive part in the radio; plus it would be a safety hazard if you don't know what you're doing.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I agree, Eliot. I have my great-grandparents' 1940 Coronado console, and my grandparents' 1942 Zenith table model. Couldn't find any Philcos in the Phamily! Icon_lol

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

You have a family treasure don't sell it or God forbid dump it.

+1 It'll keep for a while until you get it done right. Best kept as dry as possible and do not even think about plugging it in.

Plenty to go after this.

Since this is not an offer to sell, I've moved this thread to Philco Home Radios.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Keep that radio in the family!

Welcome to the phorum, Sparker. I agree with everyone else...get it operational and keep it! I'm working on a Model 20 that was my grandparents. It doesn't have the deluxe cabinet, but it is the radio that started the cathedral tabletop craze, and has family ties as well. My grandparents were anything but wealthy, and this radio came out just as the great depression hit the scene. This would have been a substantial purchase for them. When I'm finished with the restoration I plan to write a little documentation outlining it's ownership and restoration performed. That way maybe the great-great-great grandchildren will appreciate it. Just hope broadcast band is still around! Take care. Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Quote:Couldn't find any Philcos in the Phamily! Icon_e_biggrin

My Phamily (grandma's) had a Philco TV set. Back in Xmas 1951
[Image: http://www.wa2ise.com/radios/familyalbum-phtv.jpg]
Unfortunately it's no longer in the phamily... Icon_sad You oughtta keep your Philco in your phamily. We can help with advice on getting it up and running. It likely needs new capacitors, the tubes are likely fine.