Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Automatic Control Clock

Hey all, I just picked up a philco automatic control clock and from what I gathered it was made by GE in 1938. Anyone know something about these? Model number 8B56

Attached Files Image(s)

In the grade school I attended, they were all controlled by a central clock in the principal's office which was a pendulum clock which also rang the bells. They were incremented once a minute and could be reset from the office. What a fuss just to maintain uniformity!

I believe this clock/timer is just a synchronous motor, like the type found in an ordinary a/c electric clock of the time.
The on/off trips are for turning your radio on and off.

I believe it was a dealer accessory in the late 30s and into 40s. Would have to look thru my stuff.

Chuck

This particular model was definitely available during the 1938 and 1939 selling seasons, as it is listed in the dealer catalogs for both model years. I haven't seen that particular model mentioned in any 1940-41 catalogs or paperwork. Philco introduced a different model for the 1942 selling season.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Okay, I got up and looked it up in my 1939 dealer catalog. My '38 catalog is buried in a file cabinet, and I'm too lazy to dig it out. So pardon me. Icon_wink

Anyway...from reading the verbiage on this clock, it appears it was sold separately as an accessory for the higher-priced Philcos.

The description of the clock reads as follows:

Quote:PHILCO ELECTRIC AUTOMATIC-CONTROL CLOCK

After they've bought the set ... show them they need this clock to make operation completely automatic!

THE introduction of Mystery Control opens up new possibilities for the sale of the Philco Electric Automatic-Control Clock. After you have his name on the dotted line for one of the new Mystery Control models ... there's a marvelous chance to bring up the advantages of the Philco Automatic-Control Clock.

For instance ... tell the buyer how he can set the clock to turn on his new 116RX or 55RX at any desired time in the morning, before he goes to bed at night. Then tell him how he can take the Mystery Control to his bedroom . . . enjoy programs while he's falling off to sleep . . . and still be able to tune any of his favorite stations when he wakes in the morning without going near the console. The Philco Electric Automatic­Control Clock switches on the set at the appointed time in the morning ... and with the Mystery Control in the bedroom, the listener can change stations, regulate volume or switch off the set whenever he desires.

Of course ... you mustn't forget all the other useful applications of the Philco Automatic-Control Clock. It operates equally well with any Philco ... or with any other set, for that matter . . . and in addition can be used to put any electrical appliance into operation at any time desired.

The Philco Electric Automatic-Control Clock is keyed at each 15-minute period of the twelve hours on its face. . . can be set in an instant by a touch of the finger ... and up to ten hours in advance it will switch on and off, right on the dot, any appliance to which it is connected.

No need to tell you how attractive it is with its golden dial, and the warm walnut tone of the beautifully grained wood that surrounds the face and control points. The picture shows all that ... but no picture can tell you of the accuracy, precision and trouble-proof performance the Philco Electric Automatic­-Control Clock will deliver through the years.

Add a Philco Electric Automatic-Control Clock to every higher-price Philco sale! It isn't hard to do ... and it adds a nice little bonus to your set sale profit!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

awesome thanks guys. so far i have only seen this one around for sale etc. i tried it on my 39-30 and it works great. needs some cabinet work but it should turn out pretty good. ill probably set it up with my 40-190, but hoping to find a 40-180 to go with it