Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Type 60

Hello all. I have a Philco Type 60 radio. It was my grandparents so I would like to keep it. The power cord looks original and has fraying. When plugged in it does power up and the dial lights but that's it. No sound comes from the speaker. After it was plugged in it started to get a burning smell so I unplugged it. I don't have much money. Is there a ball park range of what it would take to get this working? I realize this is a broad range but if anyone can help. Also, any idea on value as is? The cabinet is excellent with a tiny flaw in the veneer on one side. Thanks.

[Image: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_O0Ih...G_8881.JPG]

Welcome! There will be others on this phorum who have actually restored a 60 and can provide specific advice, but first advice is do NOT plug it in again until you have replaced all the electrolytic and paper capacitors in the set. There is a lot of advice available for new folks beginning this at http://www.antiqueradio.org/begin.htm . Here is some specific information on the various versions of the 60 along with some schematics http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/60evol.htm . You should also learn some basics about electricity because there are sufficient voltages and currents in these sets to be fatal if you are not careful. The cost to get the set going again can be as small as a $10-20 dollars if all it needs are the capacitors and some resistors replaced or quite a bit more if various components need to be replaced. Here's a series of 14 videos on youtube by Bob Andersen doing a complete Philco 60 restoration. Read, learn then ask questions on this phorum.

If you plan on having someone else restore the set for you then the price would be considerably more. Others on the phorum can recommend people if that's the route you want to take.

Looks like a nice cabinet. Don't even think about sending to me, but could be at least $200 to fix and restore plus shipping both ways which would be fair to even a hobbiest depending on what was found.

Thanks klondike98 and codefox1 for taking the time to respond. I don't have the time (and probably not the skill) to restore it myself nor the money to have a pro do it. If getting it working does not take a lot, then shipping it could be the priciest part of restoring it, although if I could find a pro to look at it within driving range that would help a lot. I'll look on this phorum for someone near me.

Even if fixed, the AM reception in my home is horrible so I might just clean this up a bit and put it on a shelf. It looks cool just sitting here.

Thanks again.

Let us know your location, there may be a Phorum member near by, willing to help.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Even if you never get it to work it is a beautiful display piece. I buy them just to display in my radio room/studio. They are works of art. Enjoy...with or without sound!

To Steve Davis: I live In Illinois and I think I found someone nearby in Joliet - Bob's Antique Radios. Any others in the Chicago area?