Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 bezel restore + Cabinet pics added!

The bezel was missing most of the black paint and looked awful. I cut a mask for my friend who removed the balance of the black paint and masked it off for a repaint. Needs to dry and clean up a little but you get the idea.

Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...one-1.jpeg]

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Nice job!!
Terry

That is an outstanding job, Jerry!!

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Thanks gang, the mask pieces were cut on a silhouette cameo electronic cutter of the wife's. Program what you want and it does a really excellent job of making very nice precision cuts on in this case some adhesive back paper stock.

Jerry

Excellent! Icon_thumbup

Incidentally, it wasn't black originally, but very dark brown.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well dang Ron, you sure know how to throw a wet blanket on the little project.Icon_biggrinIcon_biggrin Certainly the original looked a somewhat flat black to me but your no doubt correct. I can't take credit for the painting or application, only the mask cutting!Icon_thumbup

Jerry

All in the name of originality, Jerry.

Now, perhaps you could market those masks to other folks who are stuck with escutcheons that were polished to a bright brass and have lost all of their original patina along with the pattern. Seriously. It might be a nice little money-maker for you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Aw Ron, selling them would take the fun out of it. We have not tried for any income from "selling" labor or stuff for 13 years (since we retired). This also includes radios (excess to make room for more) or parts. Radios are given to friends, parts excess needed by others are provided free. Not much interest in starting a business with its problems. Icon_biggrin Most people don't complain when they get something for free!

Jerry

yup...although, some people do complain about freebies. I know, it's happened to me before...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It is the wife's time as she is the one that runs the cutter and if there is anything I have learned after 47 years of marriage is to not commit her time! The one for my friend took about 6 hours to get to where we wanted it. Part of the time was "learning" how to program the cutter. It was not quite right and required a little adjustment. The "kit" was three rings, three arcs and two strips of different widths. Required some cutting and fitting!

A couple of pictures of my friends finished 38-116. I know, we are all waiting for the availability of the right grill cloth. He does nice finish work.
Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...40793.jpeg]

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...40794.jpeg]

Hi Jerry,

This is a beautiful example cabinet refinishing. I am going to try a 38-116 this summer, I hope it comes out half as nice!

Steve

Thanks Steve, I suspect the lack of comments on it are due to the fact the finish is a little light in certain areas (color wise). Good luck on your radio as they are very nice sounding.
Hey, the correct grill cloth is now available!

Jerry

No, it isn't. The V cloth Radio Daze is now selling is for 1935-1937 Philcos. 1938 Philcos used a different V pattern; the old pattern #41 formerly available from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters.

http://web.archive.org/web/2005110309053...es/p3.html

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, my bad, I didn't realize there were different versions of the chevron grill cloth. Could that perhaps be why the "new" stuff is not supplied in a sufficient width to carry over to the side areas of the 38-116? Just curious as my friend that owns the above pictured radio would like to find something more accurate.
Regards, Jerry