Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38 – 5 disassembly challenges

Hello everyone, I just bought my Philco 38 – 5 today. I need to remove the chassis so I can replace the power cord and probably some capacitors as well. The problem I'm having is the tuning knob won't come off. As some of you may know, this model has fine-tuning in the center of the knob and regular tuning on the outer edge. The power, band, and volume knobs popped right off but the tuning knob is rocksolid. Something I should mention at this point is that the entire variable capacitor that makes up the tuning assembly is loose on the chassis. It still hanging on a bit but I'm concerned that if I pull too hard on the tuning knob it may damage the front inside of the cabinet. At this point I could really use some advice on how fragile these fine-tuning/regular tuning knobs are and what is the best way to remove them.

Pull harder, just don't use a tool or pry bar. Some people have glued them on for one reason or another. That could be a problem.

The rubber under the tuning cap needs to be replaced, and, if it has one, the rubber bushing at the back end of the cap also.

Thank you for your advice Phlogiston. How would you recommend I replace the rubber under the tuning cap? Can the rubber be purchased somewhere or do I need to improvise using something else?

You should find what you need here:

http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html