Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stromberg Carlson 180L

http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/TAForb...son%20180L

Found in VA. Decent condition, but clear coat gone in a couple of places.

This is a seventeen tube set, PP 6L6s diven by two 6F6s. (one 6F6 is bass-boost amp, it's plate is connected to the driver 6F6 plate.

All controls appear to function properly. This is a nice "encore" after recently finding a 12S471 locally.

Here is a better of the whole front of the set. FYI the doors are open to display the conrtol panel.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa37...80L005.jpg

What a beast! You know Stromberg Carlsons are like RCA and Sparton sets, they are often overlooked, which is good because it keeps them affordable.
Regards
Arran

Yes, thanks, it is that!

Funny thing, the Strombergs seem to have a cult following. Those who love them have reacted like you, those who don't are unimpressed.

Judging by the circuitry I would have to agree that it is similar to the RCA line in that they used a four-gang tuning cap and LOTS of caps/coils/xfrmrs to maximize the reception/selection. I also like the additional AVC and bass circuitry that is above what is normally seen.

A friend of mine who is into them and actively seeks them out stated that he has never seen another one and believes that they are a low-production model. But again, I have no info on that.

I have only had a couple of them in the last 40+ years and the ones I had I sold or traded soon after I got them. But this one I may end up keeping. I'm a sucker for lots of tubes/bands/bass boost/watts output.

I believe that this was their top-end set for 1936-37, but info about them is sparse at best.

Very impressive looking set! Stromberg-Carlsons are definitly not common around my area at least.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Nothing is common around here.

That must be a loud radio.

Yes, thanks, agree that it should be a loud one.

The 6F6 drivers had 405V plate voltage on the 6L6 tubes leads me to believe that it is an AB1 or AB2 amplifier. If so, the potential output ranges from ~ 20 to 40 watts. Icon_biggrinIcon_biggrinIcon_biggrin

Oh yes, it also has an ST-shaped 6E5 eye tube.

It was just my birthday (hint hint) it's never to late for a great present you the man!!!!!!

Icon_lol

That dial is a beaut. Stromberg Carlson was out of Rochester NY. Made Telephone equipment and did a lot of that for the Government. Their build quality is very good. I have a couple of consoles, I have a little 6 tube job from the 40's they made, it weighs 3x most sets it size and is a great little performer.

I would take it, where did you put these monsters?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Indeed. Stromberg-Carlson does have a cult following--though how many people constitute a cult is open. I have a Model 1121, Series 14 that I've had since I was fourteen (almost fifty years). Does anyone know where I can get an accurate schematic for this. There are plenty of schematics for Series 10,11,12, but Series 14 seems to be a rare bird.
Thanks.
MD

Beautiful S-C! I have a 535M and I agree, they are very well made.

Larry

I've been wantin' a S-C for the longest time.....

Must be my time for Stromberg sets. Just located a 935M up home in NY and am going to take a look when I go there next month.

I wanted their ""strato-world"", was it? Their "transoceanic" version. Let couple go, then could not find anything decent below 300 bucks.

Oh yes, the Strombeg "T.O." is tough to find and usually expensive when you do find one.