Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just Picked Up 38-116 -Questions

I just picked up a 38-116. The radio has been modified with what appears to be an Aux input. There is a 5th knob on the front with some added linkage and switch on the back of the chassis. There is an added RCA style jack along with a 4 pin socket type connector. Also it is missing a cover on the tuning dial, any ideas on where to find a replacement.

It supposedly works but I am going to go through the unit before powering up with a as suggested in the "Tech Section: Applying Power to an Antique Radio".

Attached Files Image(s)

Man, those 38-116s are coming out of the woodwork! Icon_eek An eBay auction for another that was about 65 miles from me ended this afternoon. I decided not to bid, and another Phorum member won it. Icon_thumbup

What "missing cover" are you referring to? It looks complete to me, save for the call letter tabs. Or do you mean what looks like broken glass over the dial itself?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I attached a photo of one complete versus mine. The call letter tabs look like they would be held in place by circular cover that would snap over.

Attached Files Image(s)

It appears there should be a ring that snaps in over call letters. I attach a picture of a completed unit versus what I have. thanks

No, there is no circular cover used - both dials are identical, only the one in your left photo has the call letter tabs. The tabs slip into the brass ring (which is present in both photos), and this must be done when the escutcheon is removed.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice find and all the tube shields to boot! Could that strange one on the RF deck be the aluminium you were referring to on another post Ron? Only worked on one of these and it didn't have that type of shield. Perhaps now I have seen one? And yes, as Ron said, to access the replacement of the station markers you need to remove the two knobs and then the 3 or is it 4 screws holding that round plate. Then you will be able to slip new station markers into place.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Yes, Jerry, thank you; that's the aluminum tube shield I was referring to! Icon_thumbup So I'm not going crazy after all. Icon_crazy

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Any idea of where I can buy station markers. Thanks Roy

Is that dial glass on your Philco 38-116 glass or plastic? It looks like it is plastic from the picture...

Station call letter tabs are here in The Phorum
in the Downloadable Files section.

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4355

You will undoubtedly also need this Automatic Tuning Dial service bulletin too:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5938

Chuck

The "glass" is plastic and I really don't know how to remove it. The black surround on it appears to have been made in two pieces, a front (showing) and a back and they possibly snap together holding the surround in place on the brass bezel (can't spell the proper word). I would guess that the window is held between the two pieces. If the front and back of the surround can be separated and removed it may be possible to take the window out and have a new one made. There is a vendor that will make these if supplied with a pattern.
Chuck, the link to the station markers seems to reflect the markers used on other radios. The styling does not represent that of the speed dial radio's original lettering. Am I wrong?

Jerry

Chuck, the link to the station markers seems to reflect the markers used on other radios. The styling does not represent that of the speed dial radio's original lettering. Am I wrong?

Jerry
Jerry,
I have to agree with you...at least as it applies to my 38-1 chassis which has the same type of "speed dial" I believe. My station markers are the reverse of Chuck's scans, that is, black lettering on a goldish-brown tab. As you can see, two of mine are broken, one almost completely gone. I'd like to find a replacement for it and also for WIBW.
Art

Attached Files Image(s)

Art, yours are a little different from the 38-116. The radio I worked on had ones made of a stiff paper like stock and the lettering was like the one the poster showed next to the picture of his. Must have been some variety used on the speed dials of various models/years?
Jerry

The call letter tabs archived in the Phorum are for 1941 and 1942 Philco sets.

The 1937-38 tabs for the Automatic Tuning mechanism are quite different in size, shape, and appearance. The originals were translucent plastic (same material as what the dial scales were made of - I just woke up and can't remember the name of the stuff), amber with black lettering.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Guys, In my Antique Electronic Supply catolog (tubesandmore.com) they have on page 80 dial reproduction material....Item S-M190 translucent tan color plastic sheet, can be cut with scissors...8" x 10" sheet .016 thick. I think it would work? Just cut the tabes fit in the slots. Check it out and let me know what you think..Going to buy a sheet to try myself.