Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-295

Hi,
This is my first post here but I've been searching around a little bit. Looks like lots of good Philco info!

I just got a 41-295 and the speaker is being repaired. It's a nice radio and from what I hear they are a pretty good performer so I'm really looking forward to getting it fired up. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an owners/users manual for this radio. I'm trying to figure out how to set the preset buttons and how to switch between turning the dial and using the buttons.

I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me a source for finding the station tabs for the preset buttons. I don't have any right now and would like to put some in there if possible.

Thanks for any info you can pass along.

Hello Bamafan! Philco radio station preset tuners are located on the chassis side by side (look identical, small individual tuning capacitors that each cover small bandwidth) and can be adusted to desired station with the front pushbutton"s" "engaged", and tune in retrospect with your dial-scale in khz, sometimes, in "reverse visual" prospective as your looking at rear of chassis instead of front of radio dial ( L to R) if I remember correctly on the Philco models I have serviced before. And adjustment is done by turning each individual tuning condensers slowly with a small screwdriver to find the appropriate stations broadcasting in that small-portion of the AM band. Just remember that the individual small "preset" condensers only cover a small-portion of the dial from 550 -1700 khz. In other words, with preset button #1 pushed in, it will only allow you to tune in stations on the lower end of the AM broadcast band up to lets say from 550 khz up to 650 khz. With far left preset button engaged, turn the screw on on either far outside preset condenser to find a station that comes in while your preset button is engaged. Set it for maximum performance. Then, you will know if your tuning in stations on the low-end or high-end of the dial. The next adjustment screw in that row will allow you to tune in a station from say 650 khz- 900 khz when #2 pushbutton is engaged, and so-on up the dial until you find a "preset" for all the available preset-pushbuttons on your dial! It make take 5 small on-chassis preset tuning condensers to cover the entire tuning spectrum from 550-1700 khz. For a stations frequency reference point on tuning your individual push button modes, go back and use the manual tuning button to locate the frequency of stations in your area across the dial to correspond with all the other individual station "preset" buttons to help you set each separate tuning condenser on the chassis in proper receiving bandwidth, that only allows for certain frequencies along the chain, then click in your preset buttons as you go along to adjust all them across the dial individually to fully cover the AM dial. Hope this info helps!! Icon_biggrin

Bamafan,

You might try making your own station tabs, and the solution is right in front of you...your computer!

Open you "Paint" program, then make a brown background. Then set your font color to white, and experiment with font styles and sizes until you come up with something you like. Print out what you've created (assuming you have a color printer), cut the tabs to size, and presto!

It's as cheap a solution as your ever going to find. I did this with a 39-36 and a 41-265 a number of years ago, and it worked great.

Give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Hi Bamafan

For your owner's manual, you might try Chuck Schwark.
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/

I can't guarantee that he has that particular one but I know he has several from which he can make high quality copies.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You can download schematics and information about setting the pushbuttons here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013422.pdf

John

73 de KC2HET

See my small collection at:
http://www.citlink.net/~jsaxe/Radios

Thanks for the info everyone!

Bamafan Wrote:Hi,
This is my first post here but I've been searching around a little bit. Looks like lots of good Philco info!

I just got a 41-295 and the speaker is being repaired. It's a nice radio and from what I hear they are a pretty good performer so I'm really looking forward to getting it fired up. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find an owners/users manual for this radio. I'm trying to figure out how to set the preset buttons and how to switch between turning the dial and using the buttons.

I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me a source for finding the station tabs for the preset buttons. I don't have any right now and would like to put some in there if possible.

Thanks for any info you can pass along.

I have parts and pieces from a 41-295 including speaker. The speaker is good, worked with a loud hummm last time I tested the set. Has a tight rip in the cone but easily repairable. Don't know if you're interested in this or not. If so EMAIL me at n9vu at yahoo dot com.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU