Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

orig Philco chassis/cabinet retrofits?

Was wondering if my "orphan" Philco model 37-630 chassis with shadowmeter ( that was lost from its orig cabinet, spkr & escutcheon many yrs ago), would fit into a Philco model 37-610 tombstone cabinet? Also, would a shadowmeter escutcheon fit & replace the orig 37-610 escutcheon? I figure since my chances are very slim on ever finding a 37-630 cabinet, perhaps I could fit this chassis into another Philco cabinet for the time being? There is a complete 37-610 for sale on Ebay now that looks like everything (shafts-dial) may line up for a retrofit, and has a orig spkr as well. Trying to put together my wifes family heirloom radio-chassis into something "presentable" even though not all original. I will keep searching for the proper cabinet also. Just wondered if it would fit? Anybody know? Thanks, Randal

Hi Randal

YES to all of your questions above. The 37-630X chassis will fit a 37-610B tombstone cabinet just fine, and the 37-630T escutcheon should fit a 37-610B cabinet as well.

I noticed you are wanting to find a 37-630T cabinet. I should warn you that your chassis might not fit that cabinet, because the 37-630T chassis was modified to place the rectifier tube next to the 6F6G output instead of on top of the power transformer due to the greatly reduced available space in the 37-630T cabinet. Ditto the 37-610T cabinet. You would have to replace the power transformer and add an octal socket on the chassis next to the 6F6G for the 5Y4G rectifier in order to put your chassis in a 37-610T or 37-630T cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron for all your info!! I didnt realize there were those differences in the chassis designs, but it makes perfect sense being that the tabletop model height would be a major factor, as well as spkr space. The trouble involved in using a different pwr trans and relocating the rectifier socket isnt worth it. Looks like my best bet for the wifes radio is a retrofit into a tombstone cabinet since we dont have room for more consoles taking up floor space at the present time. It is great to know if I find a showdowmeter escutcheon someday, that it will interchange in the model 37-610(tombstone) style cabinet. I assume the spkr FC resistance is compatible also in a conversion such as this if I use the orig Philco 37-610 tombstone spkr? Again, I really appreciate all your help & pro knowledge you have shared!! Randal

Hello Ron!! My Wife is a very happy lady!! She just won a Ebay auction on a Philco (complete radio) model 37-610 in a shouldered-type tombstone cabinet that she preferred over the square type Philco tombstone cabinet (same yr model), for me to electronically-rebuild her orig family heirloom chassis (Philco mod 37-630 X) to fit in. Sure hope it all fits!! I wasnt home when she placed her final bid. If for some reason the cab doesnt fit, at least I have another complete early model Philco to restore!!Many thanks again!!, for this fabulous website,all the expertise & info you share, and taking time to help with all questions pertaining to vintage "Philco"!! Sincerely!!, Randal & Cynthia @ TexasVintageRadios ,( a great hobby for us all to share to bring new life to help save vintage-RadioAmericana)!!

Hi Randal

Congrats to you both on your acquisition! Yes, the 37-630 chassis should fit the 37-610B tombstone cabinet with no modifications (save for the escutcheon as discussed earlier; you will need to find an escutcheon with shadowmeter slot and mounting clips).

The 37-610 uses an "S"series speaker (sorry, my service notes are not handy so I cannot give you the exact speaker number). The 37-630T would have used a "K" series speaker. Both the 37-610 and 37-630 speakers have 1140 ohm fields. The field coil of the original 37-610 speaker is physically smaller (same speaker was used in the 6-tube 37-620), but should work well attached to a 37-630.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey Randal,

Just noticed this speaker issue has been discussed recently here (expired link removed by site admin). Bear in mind that the 37-610B/37-610T uses the same speaker as Model 37-620B/37-620T.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!!! The info is very much appreciated!!! Randal

Received our latest Ebay acquisition, a complete orig 1936 Philco Radio model 37-610 shoulder-type tombstone cab with all orig spkr, etc, to retrofit my Wifes family heirloom mod 37-630 chassis into, per their familys requests!! Otherwise, I may have a hard time getting breakfast again!! The orig spkr grill cloth is very dirty,no holes, spkr still looks good. All-in-all, the cab is still very sturdy and has orig finish. I dodged a bullet on having it shipped from Illinois to West Texas!! All the chassis-screws were missing, therefore, all the orig knobs were pulled off by the weight of the loose chassis while it was dangling around during shipping. The audio tube fell-out of the chassis and was lodged between the chassis and interior front of metal-chassis during shipping inside cab. The tube didnt get broken, so "cudos" go to fedex ground shipping. Once I get to inspect everything closer, will go forward with my "retrofit", to keep my Wife happy!! At least I have 2-chassis to work with for spare-parts!! Any ideas for "touch-up" for scratches on the orig Philco cab "photo-finish"?? Best I know of trying is the stain-marker felt tip pens (marks-o-lots)?? I appreciate all you vintage Philco restorers tips, and will proceed with caution!! Hey!!, go dig thru all your old boxes of vintage Philco remnants, and sell me a "shadowmeter escutcheon" for this fine Philco Radio project if you have one??!!! (hee hee) The complete electronic-restoration will be successful, one way or the other!! My life depends on that!! (hee hee)!! Im looking forward to letting my Bride bring up the variac-slowly, so she can hear her vintage family-Philco chassis all restored again, even in a retrofit cabinet!! Life will be good indeed!!! Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin Randal