Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B Dial Drive Advice Request

I am working on a Philco 16B. I read the information in the Tech Section regarding replacing the rubber parts of the two-speed dial drive assembly using O-rings. The remaining problem is the large rubber drive ring also needs help. I read the article by Ed Holland about using a vacuum cleaner belt to replace the rubber ring. But the article does not indicate how the belt is to be attached to the metal dial frame. If anyone has done this, how was the belt (and any cardboard shims needed) attached to the metal part of the dial?

I actually have a good dial assembly with a bad rubber ring, and a warped dial assembly with a GOOD rubber ring! So another repair method would be to swap the dial scales between the two assemblies - matching up the good dial scale with the assembly with the good rubber ring. The rivets would have to be ground off (without damaging the dial scale) and I assume replaced using small screws. Has anyone done this successfully? I am thinking of using 2-56 brass hardware. I suppose anyone using one of Mark Oppat's replacement dial scales would have to use this method.

There are certain oil filters which have a usable rubber ring gasket which makes a great replacement for the old, large rubber ring mounted on the dial frame. Steve Davis knows exactly which oil filter has a gasket which is the exact size, but there are others with similar size gaskets which can be made to work, shimmed from behind with a layer of blue jean material. Some epoxy would hold it all together on the frame, although it often holds itself in place just by friction.

I need to get the oil filter gasket info from Steve, and add that information to the Tech Section article.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I used a gasket from a Fram 3387A oil filter, but it turned out to be a little small on the outside diameter. I then added a shim under the ring made from blue jean material. I used contact cement to stick the material to the drum. It could be that there are other brands or other part number filters that would be a better fit.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks, Steve. I will add that info to the Tech Section page about the 16/44 dial drive rebuilding in the near future.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN