Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unusual early Model 80

I have started working on an early Model 80 (run #1) and found it to be quite different than the later production. It seems much different circuitry wise than the available schematic. Instead of the typical bakelite block bypass caps, it uses a metal case bypass block with three sections, one of them as a filter for the detector supply which does not exist on the schematic. In addition, the screen voltage for the detector is obtained differently, and it appears a shield is also used for the first det/osc tube. The second shield seems to be an afterthought as it does not match the one on the detector, but it is original since it is mounted with the socket rivets. There is also no line cap, instead a riveted terminal board is used to connect the line cord to the transformer wire.

Cosmetically, it looks normal but uses the Model 90 style grill cloth instead of the usual "dogbone" pattern.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this variant and is there any documentation of it?

I also have an 80 with the 70/90 style cloth and although the chassis is normal the Verneer is book matched figured Walnut which I have never seen on another