Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-1 cabinet progress

After several weeks of delay..cold garage (where I have to do my cabinet work) due to unusual spring, other chores, etc. etc...I'm finally making progress on this cabinet I hauled home from Indiana in February. Had to reglue a little bit of veneer and I finally have it stripped. This is one BIG cabinet to redo. Toning and lacquering is next. I THINK it will be nice when done.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good already. It's in a decent shape!

Icon_thumbup

Very nice wood and a nice job stripping. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Wondering about this; there appears to be some swivel "keepers" on the back edges of this cabinet. Should I assume it had a cover on most if not all the back originally?

You assume correctly, sir: Like the 38-116, 38-690 and others, the 38-1 originally had a (ventilated) back.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I was wondering if somebody in the past had added something aftermarket. 5 of the "keepers" are still good. I have some large backing material I might consider duplicating an original if I had a good picture to go by. I don't think it would be terribly difficult to make a few more "keepers" to round out their total number. Obviously that's not real critical but it might be fun to try that challenge sometime.

Art, Eddie Brimer on the alternate forum has had a template made for reproducing these. A while back he was asking if people were interested in purchasing reproductions. He also had a silk screen made for adding the graphics that are on the back cover.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Jerry,
Thanks. I sent Eddie a PM to see what the situation is now. I was looking through the parts list in Riders for this radio and discovered the back cover was listed with this part number; 27-8865. Would be nice to find one. Icon_smile I'm dreaming of course Icon_lol

5/31/13
Calling it "done." Sounds great; looks pretty good I think. It's obvious the different style in 1938 Philco and 1938 Zenith in this view. Proud to have the 38-1 on my console row.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice looking row!

Thanks.

Art Beautiful job well done! Those are some nice console radios........I would like to hear them sing !!!

John,
Here the singers are! Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass...or is it Alto, Tenor, Soprano, Bass...or is it Alto, Bass, Tenor, Soprano...or is it..........
Should I have them all one at one time? Hmmmmm, interesting thought.

Attached Files Image(s)

Where is the H-87??? Thought you had one.
Terry