Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1938 model 38-10 just completed

Finished up this set today after the repro dial arrived from Radio Daze. I tried ordering one from Mark Oppat, but he informed me he was out of them and having some difficulty in obtaining the correct color phenolic material to print them on. It could be several months until he has more in stock.

Here's how it looked before I started (a Transitone sits on top of it):

The cabinet wasn't stripped, but the original finish was enhanced with several coats of Minwax. I got lucky in that the photo finish was in fairly decent shape.

Here are the "After" pics:

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

A few more pics:

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Greg

When taking a shot (you probably used flash) if you have a white ceiling, point the flash to the ceiling, not at the radio. Too much contrast and reflection.

I think it was a combination of the Fluorescent lights above and reflection off of the table that caused the "too much contrast and reflection" for your liking. I took about 20 photos to try to eliminate as much of that as possible. In several different locations. Other locations were too dark. This is the best I could do. I didn't have the time (or desire) to fiddle with pedestal lighting, different backdrops, etc. after taking that many photos of one object.

Sorry the photos were unacceptable to you.

Icon_cry

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I did not say "unacceptable".

Then again if you have a pocket camera you won't be able to point the flash anywhere but at the target.

Yep, that's what I have. I'd be taking a picture of the ceiling if I pointed the flash up there. Actually, I don't have any fancy-schmancy photography equipment. Just a pocket digital camera. One step up from my cell phone, but good enough for the limited picture taking I do.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Nice set!!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

That dial is from Radio Daze? WOW, they have really improved their dial scales from the old yellow laminated dials they inherited from Rock-Sea Enterprises! Icon_thumbup

I take it your new dial scale is translucent on phenolic, and not laminated paper? I ask because in the close-up of your dial, the lettering appears raised, so it looks to have been silk-screened instead of printed on paper and then laminated.

Oh, and your photos are fine, in my opinion - so much so that I'll be contacting you later about using some for the new Gallery. Icon_biggrin Looks nice - thanks for sharing!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes, just got the dial from Radio Daze yesterday. It definitely is on a phenolic material, and is well made. I held it over the old dial before I installed it and it was an exact match as far as size, cut-outs, etc. Same thickness too. The only thing that's slightly different is the color. It's a bit darker than the original. Mark told me the problem he's having (and it appears Radio Daze as well) is finding that original honey color phenolic. He indicated he may have to find a source outside of the country.

As far as the lettering goes, I actually didn't notice the lettering looking to be slightly raised until I saw the photo I took! I must have a powerful flash on that cheap digital camera to set off a glare on such small numerals! Icon_lol So it's possible it's silk screened, but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm happy with the way it looks.

Thanks for your kind words about this radio, and the photographs I've posted in the past. I'd be honored to have any of them appear in your gallery!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org