Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-62 cabinet restoration

I've heard of it, but don't have any on hand. This is actually the first time I've had an issue with blush. That's what I get for spraying after two days of torrential rainfall ;)

You should get some; the stuff is great. If you spray your cabinet in super high humidity and an entire side panel turns white from the blushing as a result, a little bit of No Blush Plus will make it go away immediately. It works even if you wait several days before hitting it with the No Blush Plus.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Used it in the Mohawk class. Works great!!!
Terry

I'm getting close to the finish line Icon_smile

I mixed up some dark brown acrylic paint and hand brushed the speaker grille edges.
[Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8126/86816...d47b_c.jpg]

Another round of sanding and more lacquer then I'll let it cure for a while before rubbing it out.
[Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8545/86816...42c3_c.jpg]

Very nice work.

Thanks. The weather should get warm again later this week and I'll finished it off Icon_smile

Dang it! I sprayed on what I thought would be the final coat last night when a stray eyelash landed in the wet lacquer Icon_sad
On the positive side, I'm now a firm believer in spraying lacquer when the weather is cool (upper 50s/low 60s) rather than hot. The lacquer flows out much better and I'm getter very little orange peel.

I waited until it was 80F+ in the past before spraying and had much more orange peel. I'm sure the lacquer was curing before it had a chance to flow out properly. So from now on, maybe spring and fall will be for refinishing rather than summer.
[Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8416/88093...8951_c.jpg]

Get your eyelashes trimmed! Wear goggles.

LOL I don't know if that's literally what is. It could just be any stray bit of fluff floating around in the attic.

When we bought this house and I was painting the insides all by myself, while painting the ceiling in my son's room I painfully saw every little lint that was there from my Purdy rollers....I painstakingly picked every single one with my fingers and re-rolled over them.....this is the best looking ceiling in the whole house, even though I did after 3 years hire some pros to finish the painting when I got tired of doing it myself.

When you do it for yourself, the results are usually way better than when you get paid to do it.

One trick I learned for how to deal with hairs stuck in paint or lacquer is to pick them out with a razor blade. Actually car painters use a razor blade to scrape off any runs or sags to get rid of the high spots rather then trying to completely sand them off, it's much less time consuming, you can use the same method to shave the high spot off.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the tip. A razor blade did the trick followed by a quick blast of lacquer the flow out the flaw.