Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-482 Buttons

Just brought home a 48-482 and from what I can see in examples from on-line photos there are supposed to be some type of clear plastic cover over top of the brown buttons.  Mine seem to be missing.
A) would someone who has a 48-482 be kind enough to post a close up picture of the clear cover and buttons for me. Do they just slip on over the brown portion?
B) Any idea of a source for them?
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pcqo3xzpwg8zz....jpg?raw=1]
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha9scio4p8sn5f....jpg?raw=1]
(All these questions and I haven't even blown the dust off it yet Icon_smile )  Thanks for the help!!

I just finally finished my 48-482 and one of the first things I did was locate the covers.
If you email David at Antique Radio Collector: parts2many@aol.com and send him this photo, he should be able to fix you up.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Thank you Eric!! Icon_biggrin I will get in touch with David. I just pulled the chassis out to try and do a quick cleaning to be sure there was nothing still alive inside. Fortunately no mice but pretty grungy and everything rubber is dried and shriveled. Unfortunately it was in the home of a smoker and is going to take a lot of cleaning to get the smell off. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I actually start into it.

Now all you need is a super large cap inventory to get started. I'm putting in an order today so I can start on my 2nd 48-482. This one should be a piece of cake after all of the problems with my first one.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

And be prepared to change a lot of resistors as well. I picked up a 48-482 a couple of weeks ago and have started working on it. Some resistors have opened completely and others radically changed in value. Despite this, the radio actually worked to some extent as I received it.

Be sure to check the plate load resistor of the 7W7 RF amp tube, R502 (33K). It was open on two different sets I checked. With the open resistor the FM will work but the sensitivity will be low.

Thanks Mondial! Yep, lots of caps and resistors to replace on this one.