Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please help me identify this

I found your website by googling transitone, which is what is printed on the front of the radio dial.

This radio was given to me by my father. He earned the money to buy it from a paper route in Detroit. My dad was born in 1936.

This radio has sentimental value to me, as he used it to listen to The Shadow and The Lone Ranger when he was a kid. It still turns on and 'works' I guess, but I can't seem to get an AM radio signal up here in the mountains where I currently live.

Could you tell me anything about this radio?

Is there a way to safely attach an antennae to it so I can maybe pick up some AM radio signals? I live in the mountains of North Georgia. For any people who saw the movie Deliverance, I'm just about 15 miles from where the rafting scenes were shot.

Thanks.

Hi,
You have a 1939 Philco TH14, introduced in January 1939. You can find a picture of this model in the Philco Gallery on this site. Evidently not that common of a set. It works on either AC or DC current. As for using it, I wouldn't try using it until it has been thoroughly checked over. The original capacitors in old radio's are questionable at best, plus some radio's from this time use rubber insulated wire that has dried out and deteriorated, which could cause short circuits that are hazardous to you and the radio itself. You may be able to find someone in your area that can look it over for you. Check the internet for Antique radio clubs in your area and contact them. It shouldn't be very involved to restore it to playing condition. Nice little set! Good luck with it.
Kevin

Depending on what condition the radio is in it is possible you should not even power it let alone go inside trying to hook the antenna. Also some Tranzitones have hot chassis so be very careful.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1939c.htm#m

Welcome, bgthigfist! That is a really neat little Transitone! Please follow the advice you have been given and do not attempt to use it any further until you've checked it over, or had someone do it for you. There is a pretty large radio club in the Atlanta area, so if you get to the point that you need some hands-on help rather than online help, just visit these folks:

http://www.sarsradio.com/

And don't forget, we're here to help, too. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice old set! Have someone who knows about tube radios give it some fresh condensers and a good going over and you will have a nice keepsake from your dad. Some of these set have a built-in loop antenna that should work ok where ever you are. You may not need an external antenna.
Terry

Wow, I didn't know plugging it in and turning it on could cause problems. I was able to get a signal with it in our old house north of Atlanta, just not out here in the mountains. The external cord does not show any signs of rubber deterioration, but I will heed your advice. Thanks for the link to the Atlanta club. I'll contact them to try to find someone to check it over.

Does anybody know what that little switch is for low on the back? It's next to what I'm presuming is a headphone jack.