Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Field coil rewind

where to buy wire to rewind field coil it is #35 wire and 6000 ohms?

looks like I need about 18250 feet.

I have one bookmark haven't done any business with, but here it is:

http://www.oemwire.com/index.html

Often times it is just the connections between windings and supporting leads that go bad. Worth looking in to!

Yep, agree with that. A field coil's wire is not too thin for single wire, so it is a good chance leads got separated and looking into it is not that difficult but might save money and time.

If you have not done this before, a 1K coil is a lot of turns, a 6K coil is a LOT of turns. Make sure that you have a very good coil form.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I was hoping it would be that way but some one had already done that some time ago and wound electrical tape over the windings and it had got very hard and when I tried to take it off it pulled wire off with it one end of the spool its wound was off and wire was all loose and coming off. so I guess I will have to rewind it. its from a sparton 1466 12 inch speaker not much chance of find a use speaker.

Your Link looks good better than anything than I had found.

thanks

If the wire is still good, loosing one layer of it, or even two or three, considering how much of it is there is nothing. See if you can remove the loose wiring and reattach the lead and then wrap it again.

tried that its just a mess. wire falls off both ends the coil form is falling apart.

going to go ahead and order wire.

Thanks

Oh well....have fun.

Recommend you have a pro do it for you. A good coil re-winder person is worth their weight in gold.

And you won't save much by doing it yourself. Not anything worth the suffering.

I already order the wire so I will give it a try.

I can offer some experience. Make a bobbin to fit in the space. The cylindrical part can be glued-up paper, a loose fit on the iron pole piece, and the cheeks can be stiff cardboard, even cereal-box cardboard will do. But take your time and do it neatly, since you don't want the wire to snag on the cheeks while winding.

The bobbin should be installed on something slightly larger than the pole piece while winding, because the pressure of the wire will cause it to collapse slightly. If this plug is smooth you can slide the finished coil off. If it's not smooth, wind a layer of thread around it first, which you can later pull out to free the coil.

It is absolutely necessary to support the cheeks while winding, or the wire will slip down into the previous layers and wedge the bobbin apart. Metal washers work well.

Scramble winding is fine, but keep it as neat as possible.

If your wire comes on a large spool with smooth flanges, the usual method is to set the spool on the floor between your feet, on end, and take the wire off over the top flange. Feed it on to the coil through your fingers (it will not burn or anything). If it wants to tangle, try reversing the spool; if it still wants to, add a loose-fitting sleeve of urethane foam over the spool, to put a little drag on the wire. If the wire is on a small spool or one with squarish flanges you're pretty much stuck with putting it on a spindle and letting it rotate. This would be fine except you need your third hand to stop it when you stop winding.

Thanks for all the info sounds like good advice.

Got the wire took about 6 hours to rewind came out at 6100 ohms working good.

thanks for all the help.

Great! You're one valiant and gutsy dude! And a lucky one too!