Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is the best kind of glue to glue the speaker cone to the metal ring of the speaker I don't want it to set up too fast. The cone is in perfect shape but has come unglued from the outside rim of the speaker. The spider is still glued. Icon_think
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

I would use wood glue like elmers.

I think rubber cement sticks best to cad-plated steel.

I've been having good luck with contact cement.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

I'm a fan of rubber cement as it allows a little movement and adjustment time.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

The main problems that I have encountered with using rubber cement to repair speakers is: 1. The cement attracts dust and dirt even when "dry"; 2. The repair often separates from the movement of the speaker cone.

I use a cement called E-6000 for speaker cone repair. It remains flexible after it drys and securely bonds the repair. You can find this cement in Wal Mart.

Additionally, I use the paper "first aid" tape combined with the cement for many repairs.

Joe here
Thanks for all the replies, I will try all the suggested glues with a dummy setup and see which is best. Icon_think Thanks to all for the replies. Icon_thumbup
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Joe, here is my first recone job. Finding a proper cone is certainly a problem. This one had several. First, although listed as a 10" cone, it was short of that, the outer lip would not reach the flat area of the basket for attachment. Second, the depth of the cone was a little short to line up to the voice coil. Third, and I knew this at the time of purchase, the bottom opening was a little larger than needed.
Just an explanation for the adhesives I used. For attaching the outer rim to the basket, yes the basket as it was too small, I used rubber cement. Notice the soft rubber of the exterior of the new cone is down into the basket so the bottom of the cone would rest on the little bit of the old cone I had left surrounding the the voice coil. I glued the new cone to the small amount of the old cone I left attached to the voice coil with good old elmers.
For the outer rim, I slathered (always wanted to use that word) it and the basket with rubber cement. This allowed some time to push down and set the depth of the cone properly and center it over the voice coil. A little circular weight dropped on the cone pressed it down lightly and seated it on the old cone part.
It came out nice. I'm only giving all this information to let you know that different adhesives might work best in specific areas. I would not have wanted to try wood glue for the outer rim but it certainly works well for doing patch work on a cone with a little fiber material for reinforcements.
Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...001-14.jpg]

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.