Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help with this Philco 48-200 Bakelite

Can anybody give me some pointers on repairing this old Bakelite?? I searched the archives and found a link to a video (from 2006) but it has been removed. I found a good step by step about a year ago but now I can't find it.
Any help would be appreciated since the electronics are almost done (over behind cabinet), so I thought it was time to put together a game plan on cabinet repair. I am okay on wood but never repaired Bakelite but I am familiar with its properties.

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

I finally found the thread I was looking for: http://www.philcoradio.com/notebook/3812cbi.htm

Do you guys think this will work?? I have worked with marine fiberglass and resin back in my younger days so I think I can make this work if it will stick to the under cabinet.

Dave

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but there were so many Philco Transitones produced with this same cabinet between 1941 and 1950 that I don't think it's worth spending a lot of time repairing the cabinets for one of these. Even if they are in short supply in your area there is a parade of those things being continuously listed on fleabay. In terms of gluing the chips back in I use two part epoxy, the type that sets in 24 hours not the 5 minute kind. In this case you would have to use some clamps of some kind to hold the pieces in place since they are large. One thing that I would definitely do is clean off any of the old glue residue with lacquer thinner or acetone first from the edges of the pieces.
Regards
Arran

Well I kinda gotta do up this old dog! It was my Mothers Radio and sat in her kitchen when I was a kid growing up. She passed away couple years ago and I found it boxed up in her attic. Looks like something got dropped on it and she may have tried to fix it with some kind of glue.

It is not very often that a guy gets to restore the same old radio twice in his lifetime. I did a complete recap and a tune up on this radio back in the late 60's. It still had the old White capacitors in there that I bought from Lafayette Radio.

I did see a pretty good looking 48-200 (same model) on ebay a couple months ago for $20 and I almost bought it just for the case. I'll use this for plan B if I can't get a good fix with epoxy. If I get a good fix that will hold, I'll document with pics and post here.