Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-1401 Boomerang

This was an interesting set to restore... instead of sliding a chassis out of the back of a cabinet, this one lifts out the top! And the phonograph chassis & front door assembly are all part of one chassis! You have to unscrew a piece of wood trim over the door to be able to lift the chassis out. Anyhow, here are some heavily flashed photos of how it turned out....

Freshly flocked turntable visible through the slot. I'm becoming quite the little flocker! Icon_lol

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

That's a neat looking set. Nice job on the restore!

There is a hustler in my area of the world who has one of those and has been trying to sell it on craigslist for some outrageous price for at least four years. Currently he's also trying to sell a Predicta Princess model for $1300 with a boatload of hack repairs in it, what he calls a "restoration" He used to frequent the alternative forum until he wore out his welcome over there playing the "I'm just a fellow collector" routine bumming parts and schematics from people.
It's an interesting set to be sure, an updated version of a 46-1201, but unlike the 1201s I don't think they were made for more then a year or so. Unlike the the 1201s it looks like most of the wood parts of the cabinet used real veneer instead of that faux finish that likes to flake off. Speaking of flocking my model 76's (46-1201) platter could use a similar reflocking, and a cartridge rebuild, and the mercury tilt switch also needs attention.
Regards
Arran