Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

47-1230 Refinishing

You will have to experiment with the brushing lacquer to see if it has to be thinned or not, maybe on a scrap of plywood. I haven't used the Deft brand of brushing lacquer but have used the Watco brand with a brush, it's about the consistency of Aunt Jemima pancake syrup. Some say that you can spray Watco without thinning but I have no idea about Deft, I think that the main difference between brushing and spraying lacquer is that brushing lacquer has some additives to make it dry slower.
Regards
Arran

When I noticed the change to "brushing lacquer" on the Deft cans I asked a guy in the paint department. He indicated nothing had changed in the consistency of the lacquer but "brushing" was added to the label due to restrictions on VOCs as released by reducing and spraying the product. I use Deft and do reduce it as it is rather thick for spraying direct.
At least that's what the paint guy said!
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Great, if it works for you thats good enough for me. I will get some of that. I ordered the Behler Solar Lux dyes and received them. Now all I have to do is get the Deft Laquer and finish the prep on the cabinet, practice spraying and spray the cabinet. Icon_mrgreen Hmmm, still sounds like alot to do. Hopefully wont take to long.

Warren, just in case you didn't know, Home Depot carries Deft and I also buy the lacquer thinner there as well.
Regards, Jerry

Thanks, I will be visiting Home Depot soon for it.

Hi Everyone, I thought I would show anyone that might be interested how my Radio is coming along. I have been prepping the cabinet to apply the toner and it looks like it ispretty close to being able to spray it. Here are a few pics...

[Image: http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721...dc39c2.jpg]

[Image: http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721...0d3321.jpg]

[Image: http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721...4761b4.jpg]

On the last photo there are some cracks and a veneer repair towards the top left of the light section. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I might fill those in with to hide a bit better, the color, etc.? Anyway , that is the only problem with the cabinet. I will be smoothing the wood a bit more then spray the toner/laquer soon. Also, anyone have any suggestions for a good spryer to use with my compresor and the Deft laquer? Thanks for all answers. Warren

Hi everyone, I have been puting on a few coats of clear laquer on my cabinet. I am trying to get it smooth before I spray any laquer with toner in it. When the laquer dries it isnt exactly smooth, it is kind of bumpy, not vey much and you can use 0000 steel wool to smooth it out fairly easy but i was wondering if this is normal. Should the laquer be pretty smooth overall after it dries? Maybe I need to thin it out more to make a smoother finish? What do you think? I dont have alot of experience at spraying with a compressor/spray gun. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Warren

Warren, you may have it a little "thick" you might try reducing it a little more with thinner. I also move the cabinet around so I can shoot to a flat surface and get a nice wet coat without running. I hate runs. Using a spray gun takes a little practice to get the air pressure right along with the fluid feed and of course how thinned the lacquer is. I use a small HVLP gun. I have a couple others for delivering a lot more product if you wish to paint a car. When you get the combo right, it lays nice and flat. It often takes me some adjustment to get it there. A 50/50 for lacquer to thinner is a fair start but depending on temperature I often move to 30 for lacquer and 70 for thinner. It doesn't lay down much lacquer but the delivery flattens out very well. That would be the extreme.
Jerry

Ok, it sounds like I have it a little thick then. I am useing an hvlp gun also with max 40 psi. I have about 30 psi going through it. I will try a 50/50 mix. Was a little cautious about using so much thinner as the directions on the can says not to use that much thinner but I will try what you say. Im useing Deft brushing Laquer, but earlier you said that was ok. Thanks, 50/50 mix next time. Will let you know soon how it works out.

Warren, 30 psi sounds about right. If you were using less than 50/50, drop it down to at least that level. Depending on temperature I might go as low as 30/70. Play with a bit on some scrap wood. I believe that the reduction they suggest is for brushing, not spraying. The higher the ratio of thinner to lacquer, the smoother it will go on. Doesn't put a lot of lacquer on but it can be built up with multiple coats. Again, try to spray on with the surface flat. More care is required on spraying on vertical surfaces. I hate runs.
Jerry

Yes , I havent had any runs yet... If i did I would sand them off and respray... cant have any runs. Im sure with it thinner I will have to watch even better for them. I will try it soon. hopefully next week, I am "oncall" for my job this week which takes up all my time, 40 hours regular time plus about 30 hours overtime then no days off until next weekend. Of course its close to Christmas so I will have shopping, etc to do. Hopefully next weekend. Thanks again, I will try it as you say.