Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-55 cabinet light question

I noticed on my 39-55 cabinet when I bought it there were two holes in the front. One, of course was for the knob for the door over the controls. At first I was disappointed as I thought the knob was lost but found it wedged between one of the front pillars and the grille clothIcon_clap! I didn't know what the second hole in the cabinet was for until I removed the chassis and found out there was an indicator lamp mounted in there. i suppose it was for letting the user know if the power was on with the cover closed. Anyway, my question is, is there some sort of lens cover that mounted over the hole? I can't tell from the pictures in the gallery. If there is one, does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like? Thanks!
Kevin

I use to have those remote controlled radios and it did have a light there it was a different model don't remember witch one wish I would have kept it.

Hi Kevin,

This YouTube video shows a 39-116RX with a working mystery control. The red light you refer to is shown working fairly clearly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWbRMSYBcc

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I think that there was a small plastic jewel lens mounted in that hole. I don't think that they were anything that fancy just a plain red plastic jewel. I had a G.E radio/phono combination unit from the early 40s and it had a similar sort of lens mounted in the skirt bellow the speaker grille, it was kind of necessary since the control panel was hidden behind a door.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Greg for the You Tube link! It was neat seeing how the mystery control sets work! I guess I'm going to have to look for that lens.
Kevin