Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 34

Hi All;
I just got off of Ebay, my First Philco Radio, its a Chassis and Speaker for a model 34.. I was the only bidder on both.. I know it is a Battery set, but what Transformer (AC) type of set is it similiar to ?? It will be about a week or two before it arrives..
THANK YOU Marty

Not sure what the question really is but info here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013185.pdf and
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013186.pdf

Should be a good performer after restoration; plenty of information available for battery eliminators here and elsewhere on the net. The tricky parts are getting the filament voltage right whether it has a ballast or not, and the C bis voltages.

Welcome to the Phorum!! There is also some information on rebuilding the dial drive, if you need to do that, on another section of this Phorum: http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/drive.htm

Marty: the model 44 AC set was very similar to the model 34 battey set.

Hi All;
Thank You, Codefox, But I already have downloaded these files, but others might need the Link.. Thank You Klondike, and I have had this as well.. Also, Your Welcome for Welcoming me to the Phorum.. And TA Thank You, That is exactly what I wanted to know.. I have a Transformer and Diode set up, But I will need to either make provisions for 2 Volt Filaments Or Change everything to the 6.3 Volt Replacements type of tubes.. Like for example from 2A7 to 6A7, even though I know that neither one of these tubes were used in this model.. Its mostly 30's, 34's and such.. Largely depending on what I find has already been done to the Set.. I have Ordered some 6 Pin tube Sockets for my 6D6 tubes.. And I have also downloaded From this Phorum Ron's article about changing the Oscillator to use a 6A7 and rewinding the coil.. Since I have built or tried to build a 6A7 Oscillator circuit on Breadboard.. So far its not working.. I will Look up and get the Schematic for the Type 44 and do some comparing..
THANK YOU Marty

Take some sage advice from an old guy. Don't try to convert these set to use AC tubes. There are alot of differences between the 2.5 or 6.3 v tubes verses the directly heated 2volt battery tubes. At the time that set was produced it was probably the best farm set around. One rf amp two if amps and transformer couple push/pull triode output stage. It covers up to 18 or so which was nose bleed territory back than.
I saw the listing and thought about bidding but have too many project as is.And finding a cabinet for it may be a bit tough as most folks would use a spare for the 44 rather than the battery set.
GL
Terry

Hi All;
Two things, First, I don't plan on getting a Cabinet for it, it will be my Naked Glowing Tube set, for display..
Secondly, at first at least this will be my experimental set, my modified set, since it is not as valuable as some of the other sets, I can use it to study the different stages, and having a battery set makes it easier to work with/on.. As I learn more about basic Superhetrodyne design and understanding.. But eventually, it will become my Open Tube Glowing Radio Set, where it will be where all can see it, as it is used/tuned..
THANK YOU Marty

Terry isn't trying to dissuade you from converting it to AC set because of monetary reasons, most 1930s farm battery sets are not worth all that much, it's more for logistical and technical reasons. I have seen several battery sets over the years where someone tried converting them to AC type tubes and they either did not work, usually because someone got half way through it and gave up, or if they did work they worked poorly. It's much easier to build an off board battery eliminator power supply, and to get the battery set running from AC by that method, then it is to convert a battery set to an AC set. You can viewing glowing tube filaments inside 2 volt battery tubes, they are much easier to see then in something like a 1.5 volt type like a 1R5. If you want to have a bare chassis with glowing tubes on display why not just find an AC chassis without a cabinet, there are lots of those around.
Regards
Arran

Hi All;
Thank You Arran and Terry, I haven't made any definate decisions as of Yet, since it will be a week or two till I get the set and see what condition it is in, as well If any of the Tubes are any good or got broke in shipping..
I origionally got this set to have something to do my Breadboard Research on or with, as trying to do it on a wooden board, just doesn't really cut it.. And things on a wooden board don't work as well.. So, I figured If I got an old chassis I could use it instead.. But, You Both make good Arguments for keeping it "as is", I paid more for the shipping than for the Radio Chassis, and Speaker, which is in terrible shape.. And with that being said, It still was more than I really could afford to pay.. So, I might be sometime before I could find a chassis that is from the 1930's and is an AC Transformer type of set, that would be affordable for me.. Too many of the sets from that time period are in Bidding wars, that drive up the price beyond what I can afford, then on top of that there is the cost of Shipping.. Which is Why I feel fortunate that I was able to get this set, It was not driven up in bidding wars, but the shipping has to be considered as a part of its overall price.. Thank You both for Your input..
THANK YOU Marty

I have a model 34 that was converted to AC long ago by a previous owner.

I can remove it from the cabinet and send or post photos if you like.

Hi All;
T A Forbes, Please !!
THANK YOU Marty

Not sure about this one, I am not going to go and look at the schematic, but in principle "open glowing tube" radio if it is the AC-powered radio may simply not be safe.

Hi All;
It depends on what You mean by safe..
At the present, I have on my Kitchen Table a Wooden Board with open wires, a Transformer, Diodes, a 6A7 Tube an If Coil and a Terminal Strip of screws with where I have my Divide Down for all of the voltages..
So in Comparison, an open chassis with Glowing tubes, would seem relatively safe to me..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I JUST got my PHILCO 34 and Speaker.. The speaker is in a bad way.. The cone is very ripped and missing some of its paper, but it measures 1.8 ohms and with a "D" battery the cone moves.. But, the Chassis arrived all in tact.. It has all of its tubes, so far It has one Tung-Sol, one Super Silvertone, and the rest are Philco's.. The top of the Chassis is very Dirty.. Some One has worked on it.. I don't know to what extent..It has a modern multi-wire Gray cord coming out of the Back of it.. Its cut.. Other than that it all looks origional..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have started to check things out, And I have fallen in Love with it.. I will have to find another Chassis to modify..
I am going to attempt to Leave it as a Philco 34 and Bring it up as a 34.. I am not going to try and change it to 6.3 volt tubes..
So far the Output transformer seens to be good, it would seem that many of the Resistors may be off..So I will need to take a closer look at both the schematic and the parts placement diagram.. Doing an ohm check on the filaments, it looks like I have one tube that is Bad, the 19, So I will need to get another one..
THANK YOU Marty