Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Another Phactory Phranken-Philco?

The 89 first came out in January 1933 - but it was originally an AM-only, 3-knob set. This one is a later 4-knob model with AM and the "police" band. That change was made at the factory on March 15, 1933; I do not know if the newer two-band 89 sets made it to the dealers prior to the new model year start-up in May-June 1933, or not. So the earliest this cabinet would have been modified for use with the 4-knob 89 would have been sometime in the early spring of 1933.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Interesting that they used the later four knob model 89 versus the earlier three knob model.

So this set would have had to been assembled no earlier then March of 1933? I'm wondering if Philco may have had a limited production run of these cabinets for another year, considering that the 570 came out in the fall of 1931 and was replaced by the 71GC in June 1932. It looks like the convention of Philco was to introduce new models in the fall and spring of every year. So either they made way to many cabinets or someone in management liked the long case grandfather cloth cabinet so much that they built them on a limited production basis.
One thing about a cabinet shop is that they can pretty much build things to order as long as they have the jigs and tooling. I could see having a surplus of one type of cabinet over the course of a week or even a month but not six months to a year.
Regards
Arran

But every once in a while there is an auction for a lot of 6000 left dress sleeves. S**t happens.