Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 95

Just picked it up today. Seen prices all over the map for it. Paid 50. Not sure if I overpaid though. Everything is complete. Never worked on one this old. Powers up but cannot tune in any stations, not sure if my dinky antenna is enough. Plus I'm guessing the volume pod either needs replaced or cleaned.

Attached Files Image(s)

No, I don't think you overpaid. Though not for 50 bucks those appear for a few hundreds from time to time (though I never saw them sold...prices are too steep I guess).

Does it have legs?

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Nope, which I thought was weird. Most of them I've seen have legs. Not sure what to make of it. It deff needs work, can't pick up a signal and when I touch the volume knob I get a loud hum but disappears when I let go

If the legs are still intact it looks like it just needs the two outside knobs replaced.
Regards
Arran

Here's a better picture. I'm going to tear into it tomorrow to see what's going on after I put my 40-180 back together

Attached Files Image(s)

If it buzzes on touching it is a good sign - your Audio plus your speaker/xfmr are good. As well as your power - xfmr and rect. Standard capping job and tube checking, and hopefully not many if any coils are open, hopefully none.

FOr 50 bucks...are you kiddn'me? It s a steal! Should be illegal!

Congrats. Nice snatch.

Sweet thanks for the info. Ill tear into it tomorrow. Just got done with a 180 and taking a break from restoring a 1916 Stradavara phonograph

AJ, nice looking radio and I love that tapestry grill cloth. Yours seems much less faded than most. Perhaps because of the closing doors. If it needs legs, get some good dimensions and pictures and have someone turn them. A few carefully drilled holes in the stubs and legs and some threaded steel rods with epoxy and your back in business. A nice project.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

It needs more then just a set of legs, since it was a highboy it also had a set of stretchers to brace between the legs. I replaced the legs on an early Canadian Marconi console, which technically was a lowboy but had stretchers, and I used larger diameter maple dowels to pin and glue the new legs on.
I found a guy that did wood turning as a hobby and he made a pair of legs for me based on the originals, the originals were made out of gum or poplar. One leg had broken off, the other was still attached but had chunks broken out of it, he used the broken off leg for a pattern. the rear legs were just rectangular posts that extended down at the back.
Here is the highboy 95 with the legs and stretchers:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1929c.htm

Regards
Arran

Aaron, you are as always correct. Guess this was a highboy. If I were doing it I would add some shorter legs and make it into a lowboy. Not accurate and all will kill me as it will not be original. This puppy needs to be raised a little to keep from someone falling on their knees to tune it. Too high and you will need to do the stretchers which makes it very complex to reproduce. I guess it just comes down to what the restores wants.Icon_biggrin

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Yes, if an elderly person. lets say, sits down in a nearby comfortable chair to tune and otherwise adjust the set, you can get an idea of just how much of a lift you need. And if you decide to keep the set, consider th future................

Thanks for all the info. I was debating whether or not to put legs on it. The grill cloth is what turned me on to it since it wasn't faded. I'm going to tear into it soon to recap it

Actually the stretchers look like they were flat boards, maybe with a profile routed out of the top edges. The center stretcher looks like it had a bit of a scroll shape cut in it with a bandsaw. The interesting thing about this cabinet is that it looks like the legs and stretchers were built into a separate sub assembly which was then attached to the upper part of the cabinet, the legs do not run all the way from the floor to the top of the cabinet. It's too bad that so many of these highboys had the legs cut off, they never really look right afterward, even if you didn't know that they were a highboy
Regards
Arran