Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-200 Cabinet Repair

I recently purchased a 48-200 Code 121 for very cheap. But it has many cracks in the Bakelite that I will be repairing. Luckily there are no holes or missing chunks in it. I had to use a large rubber band to hold it all together while I removed the chassis and began to work on gluing it back together. I used a Loctite super glue product ( 5 sec set speed ). So far, all is holding together after 2 days curing time.

The question today is: How do you remove the 6 press-in pins that hold the plastic dial cover in the cabinet ? Does some special tool need to be used ?

After I pull the plastic cover out I can begin sanding and sealing all the cracks in the cabinet and then some day spray paint on it.

This is a very cute little radio and I am anxious to finish it up for display. I will also need to find 2 correct knobs for it and also do the electronic resto to it.

Thanks in advance. G.

Use two part epoxy on Bakelite, the 24 hour kind, super/krazy glue doesn't work as well. Actually 48-200s are such common sets that I wouldn't even waste my time trying to repair a cabinet on one, especially if it's in several pieces. I think that the dial leans may have used tri clips, are the round in shape and pressed into a hole? If so then a thin flat blade will pop them out.
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, those pins are of the tri clip style. Not very much room to work around the dial cover, but I will give it a try. Being retired, I have all kinds of time to fiddle with these radios and try to repair them. In our area, I don't ever see any of this type radio for sale. I will keep working on it until it's finally finished. I know it will never have any value to it but just the satisfaction of completing another project.

G.

Well I did it ! I used a very small blade and stubby screwdriver to carefully pry out those 6 press pins. The plastic dial cover was not damaged during all of this so I am happy.

G.