Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 60/505

I took a magnifier to the cabinet . Someone did a great job deleting the tone button. Why would someone do a nice restoration like this.
All new wiring..caps..grill cloth..and delete the tone button?

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Kent
People do the oddest things!!! I guess the $64 question is are you going to replace the tone control?? Philco must have sold a billion of those model 60's as it is a very common set . Yours is one of the earlier version. There's 5 or 6 different versions
Terry

Hello terry . Thanks for the reply. Yup probably will try to install the tone knob.
I guess without ..will be a parts set? On the speaker it is engraved with people that has worked on the set.
I purchased it at a estate sale for $25.00. Also a philco console..it is doa right now.
Someone tape the original power cord up..but forgot to separate the neg. and pos.
Guess it burned the transformer? Think maybe it blew the caps in the power cord source..in the bake lite block?
Been awhile since i have worked on one. Was upon this for awhile..you as my teacher..and asking questions.
Have 5 other sets that you ,and i restored. Guess it would not be to hard to fix the tone knob.
Where is best place to find this ,and the knob?
Thanks Denver/Kent for info. Will check in tomorrow.

<Guess it burned the transformer? Think maybe it blew the caps in the power cord source..in the bake lite block?
Unlikely the power transformer bad from having the line cord shorted out. The two caps across the AC line are probably toast but they don't do anything anyway. But you should replace the filters in the power supply. If they short it will take out the transformer
<Where is best place to find this ,and the knob?
Well originally it had a 2 or 3 position switch for the tone control but what you can do is use a volume control pot and a .05mfd cap at 630v. This will
give you a variable tone control. Solder one end of the cap to pin 2 of the 42 (plate pin). Other end of the cap goes to one of the end terminals of the pot. Ground the center connection of the pot. That's it. The knob you can found on line as a repro.
GL
Terry