Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello everyone, new to site.

Hello all,

I am new to this great Philco radio site. Years ago I started my first attempt at collecting tube radios, my jr year in high school to be exact. At that time, I had a nice, original Philco 38-7T table radio and it was fully functional. That was a really cool radio, with exceptional reception. Unfortunately my parents moved to another town and did not have a full basement in the new house, so unfortunately I had to sell my growing collection.

Fast-forward to the present, I just finally found myself another Philco 38-7T needing a cabinet resto. When I first conversed with the seller I was informed that it was un-tested, needed a new cord........the usual things for a radio of this vintage.

Much to my surprise, it made the trek from Pa to Ga but the cabinet top was separating from the rt side. No big deal as there was no damage to the cabinet and wood glue and clamps did the trick.

I paid good money for this one and was I ever surprised when slowly powering the Philco, it worked not only on AM, but also SW! The chances I know were really slim and especially considering that it appears to have original electronic components for the most part.

So I spent about 4 hrs on this cabinet to do a light resto on it. The grille cloth appears to be original fabric along with the knobs ect.

I would have to say that I enjoy some of each of the different brands of tube radios and am partial to Philco, and other brands before 1939.

Glad to be a part of this radio community and really enjoy the vast amounts of valuable info offered by the members,

cheers,

David

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi and welcome to thee Phourm!
I have a similar set it's a 38-22CS. It uses the same chassis but is a transformer-less design. The CS stand for Chair Side looks a bit like a table or a 38-7CS. http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1938a.htm#i.
GL
Terry

Thank you for the welcome Terry!
I almost bought a 38-22CS but held out for the 38-7T. I like the cone-centric
tuning a lot. And also the shadow dial too.

Also I have several Philco cathedral radios, a 620 and a 38-9 table model. So I am sure I will need lots of info to get the necessary repairs done.

David

Welcome to the Phorum!! It's a friendly, helpful place.

By the way, Radio Daze sells replacement Philco decals appropriate for 1937-38 Philcos so there is no need to strip around the old one to tray and preserve it. I also believe that they are reproducing the original ribbed style grille cloth again so if you need any of that you are all set.
Regards
Arran

Just noticed this set uses the same cabinet shape as my 37-630. Nice set. Always liked those large round dials on the 1938's. Welcome to the Phorum!

Attached Files Image(s)

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks a lot guys, for the warm welcome!

Arran, I have been following/reading threads about correct PHILCO decals on this site. I left the original decal intact until I order new decals and will redo that part of the cabinet.

Nostalgiaradiot, really nice 37 you have and it is about the same cabinet. Also looks like a 38-9T cabinet:

Attached Files Image(s)