Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I do not care what anyone says

Listen guys.. I do will not change my mind on what anyone else puts on this board, But my 38-116 console in my own radio collection is the best sounding radio I own... And Thanks to all your help insisting I change out a couple of tubes that might have been weak! Thanks again. Would love too know how the other owners think about their console...

My 38-116 is probably my best sounding console.It will probably improve bass when I build a back for it.I'll eventually restore my 1947 Magnavox Belvedere and suspect it will give the Philco a challenge. Later Hi Fi AM radios in my collection are excluded from the comparison.

PJ, I restored one electrically for a friend but never got to listen to it in the cabinet with the back. It sounded really nice with the speaker setting on the bench. I would guess great in the cabinet with the back. Really a great radio.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

second best sounding AM radio I own.

Mine is excellent. It plays as well as my 38-690 and they are my two best players. I am lucky to have each.

Steve

Steve.... What would you say the difference is between the 690 and the 116.. I do not think I will not be so lucky to find a 690 for a reasonable cost. And I dont think I will ever hear one up close to hear the difference. What would you say the difference is since you have both consoles.... Thanks in advance ......

And Steve you are lucky to have both. Enjoy them and If you can send use a pic or two of both your radios.

I am out of town this week so I'll send pics next week. I really can't tell the difference in sound quality between the two. They both play very well. I don't think you are missing much with a 38 116 from the 690. The 690 uses a pot for bass control (left side switch). That may be the only real difference that I could tell as I can really vary the bass anyway I want.

Steve