Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Installing new V grill cloth

My neighbor finally got his shipment of the new cloth from RadioDaz and it looks really nice. I only wish they would roll it and ship it in a small tube instead of folding it. It's a real pest to get the folding lines out of it.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Jerry I would agree also. Don't people have common sense these days? Someone who has ordered radio speaker cloth from them should call them and inquire about sending their cloth out in tubes. What could the cost be? I am sure we would not mind the 2 or 3 dollar difference in the shipping cost. What are your thoughts?

I just sent them a note with the suggestion to roll it rather than fold it, hope it falls on receptive ears!

Just did my 37-630 with the new RDz V cloth. Took a hot iron and some spray starch to get all the folds removed. Hope the suggestion for mailing tubes is considered sure would save a bunch of angst.

Right you are Sirwalt. Wife did carefully iron it out with a little steam. Did not try the spray starch. That stuff should not be folded up for shipment. I would prefer to pay a little more for shipping and have it rolled in a tube.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I tried to tell John Okolowicz back when he started his grille cloth business that he shouldn't fold the cloth, but to ship it in tubes instead. He didn't listen. So the precedent was set, and RD continues the practice.

In my experience it is difficult to get those creases out at times. I think I've been lucky 98% of the time, though. I recall one piece of cloth, don't remember which pattern, I never could get the creases completely out. And another piece was ruined by my having the iron too hot - dumb mistake on my part.

If the cloth was shipped in tubes, that would eliminate the ironing factor, which (to me) would be a very good thing.

Now, if you want someone at Radio Daze to hear you, don't waste your time using the "Contact Us - General Inquiry" form on their site. If you want results, go straight to the top - contact Mike Slusser direct, mws@radiodaze.com . And be sure to thank him for bringing some of the cloth back, and thank him also for making (most) of the Philco decals period correct again! We're d**ned lucky to have Radio Daze as a vendor, because they are trying to give us things we need to get our old radios going again. Let Mike know you appreciate him - and Radio Daze!

Incidentally, Kenny Richmond does not fold his repro cloth for shipment.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Icon_thumbup Got a response back from Mike @ RadioDaze as follows:

"Bob,
Thank you for letting us know about forum feedback. We will put it into effect - just its a lot harder to send rolled..more packaging, costs etc. But we will look into for sure on the best way to accomplish this.
Thanks again
Mike"

and then his note back after I sent a Thank You re: cloth and decals.

"Bob,
We are moving to be more specialized in our product offerings. Its better to be the best at a few things then just ok at lots...so this switch over will be coming soon. With that said, with the products we have started really focusing on (grill cloth, dials, decals, faceplates, custom wire, etc)...we want to be the best and we can only do that with constructive criticism from those using our mfg'd products.

Any time you need one of the items above please let us know. We can custom make almost anything now in terms of the items above.

Obviously like I said comments and feedback appreciated - it only helps us to become better for our clients.
Talk soon
Mike"

I simply ironed my cloth the way my mom did, no spray starch (nor did we have any) - simple cheesecloth soaked in water and squeezed. Or even spraying water is fine.

No problem, the creases went away in a jiffy.

Steam iron works good also. Bottom line, it would be great if we could concentrate on the install of the new cloth and not have to fuss with de-creasing. Nuff said

I iron the cloth with a tea towel on top of it. Has never failed to get creases out. What little if any remained was taken out when I spritzed the cloth while attaching it to the speaker boards.

Be very careful stretching that V pattern. The lines can be distorted very easily.

I use an iron to get the creases out of 8 track tapes if they get damaged, I set the iron at #2 to 2-1/4 and it seems to flatten it without damaging the tape or the oxide and graphite layers The tape is usually made out of mylar/polyester film but I would assume that the repro grill cloth is made out of rayon. If you have a fabric steamer that would be the best way to get creases out of grill cloth.
Regards
Arran