Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I know we talked about this before

So sorry to bring this up.. I know in recent threads we spoke about someone making up console radio backs,but is anyone really interested in really producing them for our hobby? I would love to purchase one for my Philco 38-116.. You would be doing a great service to the hobby and I am sure you would get a great response as to these backs are hard to come by.

PJ, you might take a look at this discussion.
Jerry
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...k#p1881232

I believe Eddie went on to have the silk screening reproduced and a metal template for cutting out the backs. There was a later post about this but I couldn't dig it up. He was asking if anyone else needed ones made.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Eddie........We would love you to reproduce a radio back for the Philco 38-116 console ....as these radios are coming out of the woodwork. As collectors find these radios and want to have them restored the backs for these consoles should be in high demand. In the pasted I have posted several requests asking Eddie to reproduce this item for us, since he already has the know how. I can not be the only collector that needs this reproduced for us in this hobby.. We all have to let Eddie know how important it would be to have this available to us to complete our set.....Everyone If you want to have this product available please place your order and tell Eddie to send you one....Iam placing my order with this post........Please send me one Philco 38-116 console radio back for my Philco 38-116 console! Send your requests today!

He could be in the Bahamas for the next 10 months for all we know! Icon_e_surprised

Yeah true..He has not responed in a while about these questions

Supposedly the same individual was the one to go to for reproduction mirrored tops for some 1937-38 Stromberg Carlson chairside models but Bob Andersen never had any luck getting a hold of him either. I can recall getting a rather petulant response from him on a thread on the alternative forum about the Stromberg Carlson coffee table radios, a model which I have. Makes me believe that he isn't exactly floating on an even keel so to speak, but that seems to be all too common on the other forum.
Getting back to these Philco console backs I should point out that the originals were not made out of Masonite/hardboard at all, they were made out of a thick cardboard dyed black. The closest material I have seen to it is called waterboard and is used in the auto trimming trade to make door panels and other upholstered trim parts. It's the same material used to make backs for 1940s AC/DC sets but larger of course. A likely alternative maybe some thin MDF board if you can find it, but it would have to be painted flat black. Maybe Steve Davis can come up with something once he gets his shop setup again, the slots could be cut with a router and a jig rather then using a laser cutter or other computer controlled machine.
Regards
Arran