Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

370 Chairside

How rare are the model 370 chairsides? Have a line on one for $35. I understand it is a model 70 chassis with right angle drive for volume and tuning. Is this worth picking up?

Lately I've seen a few around so they aren't impossible to find. I've got two. What sort of condition is it in?? Have seen some that the top has been reveneered with a single sheet,looks awful. Another problem is that the volume/off-on switch will go bad and those are hard to come by. Check for extra holes for external switch. Price seems good if it is in decent shape
GL
Terry

Here are a few pictures I have not gone to see it. It's about an hour from where I am.

Roy, Norman was suppose to be a great designer of cabinets as they moved from the old classic look to a more modern. I have one of his consoles from 1931, lacking that nice label. Personally I find that radio (as my 112) uninspiring from a looks standpoint. If you like the style, buy it and post a real nice picture of his label. You can't beat the price.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Looks pretty good ! I'd grab it for $35.
Terry

They offered that chairside for at least two years I think, one is the 370 and the other is the 71LZ, the 370 is from the 1931 model year, the 71LZ is from the 1932 model year. The chassis are nearly identical except that the 71LZ uses 6.3 volt tubes instead of 2.5 volt tubes. According to the gallery Philco produced 16,285 units with this cabinet, it doesn't say how many were 370s and how many were 71LZs though. One thing I've wondered about is what they did withe the tone control switch that they would normally have on a 70/71 chassis?
While it's not rare it's not common either, but chairside sets are always interesting. I think it's probably worth the trip to get since it looks complete, and the price is very reasonable. One thing I can see is that it looks like it has some veneer damage on the bottom rail but that's easily repaired.
Regards
Arran

Philco attached a piece of stiff wire to the tone control, which was left hanging below the radio. Not the best way to adjust tone, as the owner had to get up from their easy chair, then get down on their knees beside the radio, reach up for the wire and push or pull to change the tone.

Philco's 14LZX, 91RX, 19LZ and LZX, and the RX/TX models that followed were much better, with all of the controls easily accessible by the owner.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Decided to go for it. I will meet the seller in a few hours.

Icon_thumbup Good for you! For $35, how can you go wrong?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I was able to grab the 370 yesterday. The cabinet is pretty good except for the veneer at the bottom. There is some delaminating of the plywood. I should be able to take care of it. The chassis appears to be intact and still has the original power cord. The chassis even has the volume control pot mounted even thought the active one is on the driveshaft. I got it home last night and then I got distracted by a craigslist ad. See "other radios".
    [attachment=2195]            

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice save Icon_clap

It's certainly growing on me. I like it and thanks for the great shot of the label. Perhaps someone with better skills than me in photoshop would finish off the missing corners and post in the download section of the Phorum. My 112 is missing that label. Interesting that Norman used the same beaded molding on the chairside and 112 console designs.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Txn for the details on the tone control. The first one I got a previous owner drill holes in the cabinet for the off/on sw and for the tone control so this didn't have wire job for the control. The other one I got a few months ago but haven't unpacked it so haven't looked it over. Interesting system for changing the tone!
Terry