Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Delco 32 volt console

Found this today at a second hand shop after getting my liscense tags. I rarely see Delco radios and have neve run across an intact 32 volt model before, especially not a console. This crosses over into my antique engine collecting as I knew a guy who had a few of the Delco light plants this radio was made to work with. The only thing I hope is that no-one plugged this into regular AC! Icon_eek

No matter where you go, there you are.

Sparse on tubes, nice lines and form! Icon_biggrin Would the plug even fit into a conventional outlet? Crossing my fingers for you! Icon_thumbup

I think it would. Looks the same as plugs on a couple other radios I have had. The cord and plug end on this radio are in excellent shape for thier age. I would dare say, I have seen more of the light plants in restored and unrestored condition than these radios over the years. Gas Engine Magazine had an article on the Delco light plants years ago and one guy had two cathedral models he used as part of his Delco display. I have seen a couple other Delco radios, but I think they were regular AC units.

If it is a 32 volt set you may find it a disappointment performance wise given the small number of tubes, 32 volts was the plate and screen voltage as well. It looks like they used two power output tubes, probably 48s, to make up for the low B+ voltage somewhat, normally they would also add extra RF and IF amplifiers to help it out. The only 32 volt set that I saw in person was a post war set from the late 40s, I think it was a Sparton, it was identical to an AC/DC model of the same era other then the wiring and a large label on the back warning that it was a 32 volt only set, yes it had the typical "Hubble style" plug like a normal AC radio would have. By far most rural market sets in Canada used sets of A, B, and sometimes C batteries with the odd one using a 6 volt vibrator supply.
Unfortunately the garden variety battery sets were not immune from fools and other uninformed persons getting their hands on them, I have a Phonola downstairs where some idiot had twisted the remains of a molded plug on the end and tried plugging it in. I can't tell you how many I've seen where some dummy though it would be a good idea connecting one to a 12 volt car battery, if you are lucky enough they may have only tried connecting it to the B+ leads and only blew out the B- resistor
Regards
Arran

Recently a Delco table top was listed about 10 miles from my house. It used 4 of the 48 tubes and had a nice colorful racetrack dial. I liked the looks of the radio and talked to the seller and he indeed tried to plug it into the wall! After looking at the schematic decided if the 3 amp fuse didn't blow immediately all 4 of the 48s would have open filaments and probably 1 of the other tubes which were wired in series. Not to mention transformers and other assorted parts. I opted out. I hope yours was not introduced to the A/C house wiring.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

A few months ago I restored a Delco 3201 tombstone (your console may use the same chassis). It had been plugged in and both 48s were toast along with the 85. I got replacement tubes, re-capped it, and fired it up on 24VDC. I was surprised at how sensitive it was. I read people say that these 32V sets are dogs but this thing pulled in stations all over the dial. I tuned in WSM on a Saturday night and listened for a while. I thought about how many times this set was probably tuned to the Grand Ole Opry back when it was originally used.

Sean
WØKPX

I checked the continuality on my 48 tubes and they are blown. Seems my set was also plugged into AC sometime during its life. It's also nice to know that 24VDC will run the set. I'm pondering trying to track down one of the old light plants sometime when I get the funds. I knew a guy who had 4-5 of them stored away on his property, but he went through a divorce last year and sold off some stuff. It would be neat to take this radio the engine shows as part of a display.

Jayce, also check the transformers and other coils. This set might be prime for a "static" display and not worth the cost to get it back and running. I'm surprised that 24V would allow that to perform well but what do I know? Icon_crazy The one I was looking at had 4 of the output tubes in parallel push pull. Just that made it for me not worth the money as I like my radios to work. There is a nice picture of the model I was looking at on Radio Attic and the picture was posted by a member of the alternate forum. He had a nice picture of the radio and a 32V powersupply he had made to run the radio and fitted nicely into the table top cabinet. If the radio had not seen the nice 120V voltage, I would have gone for it. Four output tubes gone and guessing another and at least a transformer, seemed a little pricey. Best of luck on the radio, it's nice looking.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I sprung for the cost of the tubes in mine because I got the radio for free. I help a buddy of mine who flips radios on ebay with fixing ones he can't figure out. He pulled this one out and before he even told me what was wrong with the radio I told him what his problem was. He was so disgusted that he didn't notice it was a 32V radio that he told me I could have it. Even though he plugged it in to 120V I don't think he was the first to do so.

Sean
WØKPX

I think this radio might be worth rebuilding as even my radio repair friend was surprised to hear it was a console. He's worked on several of these sets, even with the same chassis and has never seen a console version before. And yes, he said about 90% of the Delcos he has worked on have been plugged into 120, so he knows what to expect. I was trying to figure out how they developed the 'B' voltage as that is sometimes an issue on a battery set, but this set is pure genius! Instead of using a complicated set-up to get really high voltage, it appears that they just simply used the 32 volts available for the 'B' voltages. That explains the simplicity under the chassis. I like these critters! Icon_smile

At 32V the tubes are running "space charge". Late 50's/early 60's car radios did the same thing for the tube sections (RF/Mixer/IF/det/AF), with tubes running at 12V on the plates. I have a few of those tubes here. I'm planning one day to build a TRF set with three or four of them.

The car radios that used the 12 volt "space charge" tubes usually used a transistorized power output stage, they were an odd sort of hybrid, I have a Ford car radio and a few Chrysler ones that are that way. Just a guess but I think that you may be able to get away with using a pair of 43s in place of the 48s, the pin out seems to be the same but the 43 is a pentode whereas the 48 is a tetrode, the suppressor grid is connected internally to the cathode. Also the 48 uses a 30 volt 400 ma filament rather then a 25 volt 300 ma one, but given that the 48 filaments are connected in parallel the current difference isn't an issue just the voltage. The only problem may be that the 43 won't operate as well on 32 volts B+ but it is certainly worth a try as the specs in the tube manual look similar.
As for supplying the 32 volts someone on the alternate forum was using a surplus transformer from a big computer printer I think which may have been a 35 or a 40 volt job.
Regards
Arran

As stated, shouldn't be too hard to find a beefy transformer from an old solid state power supply device for under 50 volts and some monstrosity caps that are still good enough if it hasn't already been turned in as scrap copper. Many alternative plans too, but it's up to you.

Three 12V motorcycle or SLA batteries would work just fine. Yeah, it's a bit over 32 volts, but should not bother the tubes. Worst case, buy 2 12V SLA's and 1 6V SLA.

I managed to find two NOS 48's and a NOS 85 today at an old TV shop in town. So, I have the hardest to find tubes for this set already. Icon_smile