Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question on AK model 40 power transformer

I'm hoping there may be some fine folks here who have restored an Atwater Kent Model 40 and could help a novice like me with a few questions. First and foremost is the power transformer. Judging by how brown and cracked the tar is inside the case on the left hand side (opposite the wire loom), something has burned up deep within. Does anyone have any pictures of what is down below the tar in the 3 sections of the transformer? Or could give me an idea of what is the best method to go about finding what's down there without damaging things further? It would be most helpful knowing what I'm looking for and the general area it's located in, so if anyone has taken pictures as they restored one of these transformers, that would be fantastic!

Second, the two cans in the audio output section. Are both of these second audio transformers? I assume they are encased in tar as well. Do these typically go bad and what can be done to salvage them?

I've come a long ways in just a week's time since I got this 1928 stove (actually a model 52 but it uses as model 40 chassis). I have all of the cosmetic work restored, now it's the fun part of getting it to fire up again..... without starting on fire!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Transformer left side

Choke crnter

Choke center

New Caps right

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Thanks for the great pictures! Most helpful in at least knowing what I'm up against. I sent you a message at your radio repair website regarding this set.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org