Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Water Transfer Decals

Hi Guys,
How do I determine what text should above my radio's knobs on the cabinet when it's been missing for years? ON/OFF, TUNING, TONE, BAND, ETC.? From the info I've gathered here my chassis looks to be 660.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Don't worry about it...it never had any decals above the knobs indicating their various functions. When the set was new, you would have referred to the owner's manual, now long gone, if you forgot which knob performed what function. To add these now when it never had them originally would lower the value of your set.

Oh, and I moved this thread here to Philco Cabinet Restoration since it is a cabinet question.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OK, this makes sense. I don't remember there being script above those knobs 45 years ago, but the radio was already 30+ years old when I got it. I thought they might have worn off. Then when I see the decal packages available today from places like Radio Daze which include script that says ON/OFF, VOLUME, TUNING, etc. I just figured mine would have had that originally, but if you say no, that's good enough for me.
Thanks,
Greg

Those decals are for use with Philco sets made later on. Some high end 1937 and 1938 models used those decals, and as a general rule, most Philcos save for the lower end, cheaper models used them from 1939 onwards.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Got it.
So without an original manual can you tell me the correct function of the 3 lower knobs?
Greg