Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Finally found one (locally)

Philco 116 tombstone.
Cabinet is ugly as all heck but solid.

Speaker is in need of a re-cone, maybe more.

When I moved the bandswitch, mud wasp nests fell out.
Price was right, don't seem to find too many of these in these parts..

Tim

Icon_thumbup Congratulations on finding one of Philco's best!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow! A great find.. As Ron said one of the best. You will love it after shes restored.

VERY nice find Icon_thumbup

Thanks
The chassis is the size of a battleship![/u]

Now that is a lot of radio in a tombstone. Looks like a great project and complete. Best of luck and keep posting pics (we all love them) as you progress.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Sure will Jerry!

Will mostl likely be begging for help

Diamond in the rough, lots of work, but should be rewarding. That cabinet exudes a certain dignity, hard to put in words...

Paul

Tubetalk1

I have a earlier 116 tombstone and if you have to move it its heavy as H**l! Plays pretty darn good too!

Oh no, it's not ugly at all!!!!

Great find, Tim !!! I assume you did NOT get it from our illiterate and profane acquaintance from the past...Icon_wink

That is a wonderful find. It will be beautiful when you finish it.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Thanks

I stripped the cabinet. The skinny horizontal strip of veneer under the knobs is peeling off. Not sure if the stripping helped it break loose. Im thinking I will have to replace it as the original has curled.. Not sure yet.

The speaker cone is pretty much gone. Looks like the voice coil survived though. Debating if I should try my hand at reconing or send it out.

TA, funny you mention that "seller" from the past. Everytime I see a radio for sale in that area I get a bad taste in my mouth ( like puke).
Found this beauty at a local antique mall for 20 bucks. Couldnt beleive it as I never find anything there.

Tim

Tim, shoot a picture of the speaker cone and some measurements of diameter. Reconing a speaker is actually not difficult if you can find the right size cone. It took me two days or worry and about 30 minutes to do it.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Tim- I might have a speaker that would be correct for that set, let me go to my references and then to my "speaker wall" in the garage.

Yes, that fellow was a memorable experience!

You guys are the best!

Pics of speaker. It appears the FC, VC & xmfr are good
measures 11" across (edge to edge)

Tim