Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question for Ron, shadowmeter escutcheon differences?

.... just purchased a Philco Mod 38-09A Radio from a canadian eBay seller. Nice radio in working condition, and got it at a fair price indeed! It has a Philco "shadowmeter" type escutcheon I need to complete a retro-fit for a Philco 37-630 chassis into a Philco 37-610 shouldered tombstone cabinet I also recently purchased.( Trying to please the Wife to restore her orig family-heirloom Philco chassis only 37-630 missing X shadowmeter dial cabinet, into something fully-functional with shadowmeter). Those will "retrofit" as we asertained before. The eBay photos of the orig Philco 38-09A I just purchased from Canada, clearly shows the shadowmeter viewing-slot in the photos. However, when I looked at Chucks site, I noticed the Philco 38-09A model was not listed as having a shadowmeter. Perhaps their are "differences" in US & Canadian models that also had shadowmeters?? Sure hope the canadian 38-09A shadowmeter escutcheon assy will fit my 37-610 cabinet? Oh well, if not, I will have plenty "spare Philco parts" to share here in the future if anyone needs em!! Randal

Hi Randal,

Assuming the Canadian 38-09A is identical to the USA 38-9...

This set could have been retrofitted with a 38-8 chassis. Same as the 38-9 except that the 38-8 has a shadowmeter (the 38-9 did not originally).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!! It is most definately a Canadian made Philco model# 38-09A (Toronto). The shadowmeter dial-frame is on the radio. I bought the radio cheap. The brass "twist-on" bezel & glass is missing. I have spares of both those parts if they will fit. I figure all those "stamped" metal parts were made by Philco USA and shipped to Canada for their production runs? If not, no big loss, I will keep searching. The price I paid will be worth it in other parts alone. Seller said it works "no-hums", so I figure it had new filter-caps added somewhere down the line. Cabinet is in excellent condition also. Thanks again for all your help in keeping me informed on the vintage Philco sets!! Sincerely, Randal