Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need an opinion on Zenith

Saw a Zenith 9-S-367 this weekend. I believe it is called the "Zephyr". Nice set in very good original, unmolested condition. It's only missing a couple of the white plastic tabs and buttons as most Zenith's I've ever run across. They say they got it an an estate sale, and the owners claimed "it worked last time they turned it on" (don't they all?). It was in an Antique shop. They are asking $350.00. I offered $125.00. They came back with $250.00. I countered with $175.00. That's where I left it. Just wanted an opinion on what this set may be worth. I realize that in an Antique Shop environment I'm going to pay more. I have gotten several radios lately at "I stole it" prices, so if I had to pay a little for this set it's all even out I guess. DOn't mind payin a fair retail price, but don't want to get hosed. I'm not very familiar with what some of these Zenith's are valued at. Sorry no pics.

If the cabinet is in good shape, and the remaining buttons are good, I would personally go about $200 on that set. Looks to be a shutter dial. But, I'm maybe not the best judge of value, I just go for what appeals to me.

I thought that the true Brand Z Zephyr sets were 1937 models? The kind with the black, back lit, celluloid dial that has a knob on all four corners of the dial escutcheon. I think that your offer was somewhere in the ballpark, maybe up to $200 at the most given that it needs plastic parts replaced, and if you really like it. A small amount of internet research indicates that this model isn't really that rare, the original retail price was only around $100, it also only has nine tubes and a single ended output stage. It does have have a rather nice cabinet, unfortunately it is also full of rubber covered wire under the chassis.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the inputs guys. I was pretty sure $200 or less was about right, but I'm not too well informed with the Zenith world. As a Federal employee currently experiencing furlough (losing approx. $800 a month) I'll have to do some real soul searching as to whether a $200 console is appropriate at this time. As long as the IRS has swell parties and the Commander in CHief gets his vacations it's all good I guess.

Sorry...venting.