Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cleaning speaker cloth?

Hi all: sorry for so many questions.. Is there an efficient/safe way to clean the cloth that protects the speaker and other internal components? I have a 37-84. Thanks so much!

You would pretty much have to remove the speaker and possibly the chassis first, remove the grille cloth which is glued to a piece of thin cardboard, first before attempting to clean it. In terms of what to clean the cloth with I think that some form of dry cleaning would be best, but many dry cleaners would need you to remove the cloth from the cardboard first. However auto parts stores sell perchloroethelyene in the form of brake cleaner in spray cans which is the same chemical used by dry cleaners, you can spray it on the cloth and then dab it with a clean rag or a paper towel until it dries and comes up better.
Regards
Arran

Recently cleaned a speaker cloth. But you do have to do as Arran says and remove the cloth from the cardboard. Turns out my wife does work with antique fabric and here's what she suggests: Soak and carefully "swish" it in Ivory Snow using luke warm water. Never squeeze or wring it. Pat dry on a towel and allow it to air dry outside, but in the shade - no sun. It does work pretty well, but if it is badly stained and dirty, you may have to resort to Arran's suggestion - perchloroethelyene...

I'm a little late to this party, but had good success cleaning original grille cloth with an old toothbrush and my air compressor. There wasn't much actual soil on it, but it was heavily caked with dust and drips of one sort or another.

After a few minutes, it looked pretty nice. Careful with the air pressure thought, don't get too close to the fabric until you know how sturdy the fabric is.

Agree, I would start with Woolite or a dish wash detergent, good rinse and dry between two thich white towels lightly weighted down as in an old pillow. Might shrink some, so consider that. Some discoloration will not be apparent if you get the alignment correct when putting the set together again. Bleaching is pretty much not reversable, toning with compatible dye is possible. 99 more solutions available!

Unfortunately, it's not that it "might" shrink some - because it will shrink some - so be prepared for that.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here are my before and after pix of just using an air compressor and an old toothbrush. I was surprised at the difference, though the exposures are not exactly equivalent.

[Image: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantan...G_9694.JPG]

[Image: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantan...G_0005.JPG]

Much less effort than separating the cloth and the cardboard, though it wasn't terribly messy to start with. Both images were shot inside with a flash.

Nice results actually. As long as it is mostly dust, I think this is the perfect method.

Quote:Unfortunately, it's not that it "might" shrink some - because it will shrink some - so be prepared for that.
Ain't that the truth! Back in the BRGC days (before reproduction grille cloth) I used cloth from an old console to replace what was in my Philco 70. I gently hand washed it in Woolite but between the unraveling at the edges and the shrinkage I barely had enough.

I've got a gallon of Coleman fuel I'm going to try next time I need to clean some grille cloth. From my understanding it is White Gas which is supposedly naphtha which I've been told is also used in dry cleaning. Can't remember who told me that now, but I'll try it on a scrap piece first.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John, be very very careful if you use white gas for cleaning cloth or you and the cloth could wind up toasty. Obviously its very flammable and when used in open containers or pans the fumes can travel to an ignition source that you aren't aware of. I had a friend whose house went up in flames when he did some "cleaning" with this stuff, fortunately no one was hurt but he lost the house and everything in it. Be safe!

Thanks for the warning. I had planned to do this outdoors and away from the house because of the fumes and flammability.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I know this may be a dumb idea but I want to throw it out there. Can you use gasoline to clean the cloth? Could you soak it in a pan outside and after soaking, let it dry out and allow sufficient time for any fumes to dissipate (several days?)? Would it still shrink?

- Geoff