Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

please help identify this model

This radio is about 4 feet long and sits very low to the ground. Please help me identify this so I can find the value!! Thanks!

Its a PHilco Model Q-1749 Icon_biggrin , the Q indicating its from 1967 ( http://www.philcoradio.com/age.htm ). Value will be whatever a willing buyer will give you but generally I don't think these bring a lot.

Somebody local might want it for a couple of bucks or free. Shipping far exceeds value. Consider donating to whatever your wish or post in classified here as someone may want parts.

I have restored a few stereo consoles. In general, solid state units are pretty much worthless. Tube units are worth around $100 if they have a decent stereo amp.

Some mid century modern, top of the line tube units in restored condition can go for decent money, but in general, stereo consoles are worth about the same as old TVs... nothing.

Yeah, you'd probably be lucky to have someone take it off your hands. Hope you don't have to pay them to do it!Icon_razz

Tough group here but welcome to the phorum. I agree with all the above, you would be lucky to have someone pick it up for free. Now, if it has some value to you for personal reasons, keep it and restore it. I doubt if even Goodwill would accept it as a donation. I would probably be and nice sounding unit but unfortunately not something of interest to radio collectors. Just too new and too large.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

D**n, one post and the OP is gone. I guess we were too hard on him.

None of you guys told him/her what he/she wanted to hear: that this stereo is worth $20,000 and in amazingly high demand. Icon_wink

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote:RE: please help identify this model
None of you guys told him/her what he/she wanted to hear: that this stereo is worth $20,000 and in amazingly high demand. Icon_wink

I wonder if that will ever change? For the future of this hobby, I hope it does. I'm sure that back in 1960, no one ever thought an old tube radio would ever be desirable.. so I hope one day in the future someone takes a liking to those old hi-fi units. I see 'em all the time, sitting there looking neglected, no one willing to pay $10 to take it home..... and I walk by looking for something older.. and for some reason, I get a bit of a guilty feeling.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Yes, but we simply cannot save them all. Look at what happens to the "collections" of hoarders who spend, spend, spend, buying every radio in sight - when the collector passes on, they end up as landfill anyway after decades of being stored in someone's non-climate-controlled barn, shed, or storage unit. We can only do what we can, within reason.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

There is also a critical difference between these cabinet stereos/radio phono units of the 50s, 60s, 70s, and pre war console radios that has little to do with age. With few exceptions they are all more or less alike both electronically and in styling regardless of brand. The typical late 40s early 50s unit has a record changer in a drawer with the radio on the other side, the late 50s and 60s units have the same but under a lift up lid rather then doors on the front.
The latter ones are so prolific that me and a friend of mine dubbed with the derogatory name of "Stereo Coffins", because they almost always have a lift up lid and are 6'' long or more, just like a coffin would have. On top of that they made millions of the things, during the post war boom every suburban house had one of some kind.
Compare that to a pre war radio where every manufacturer was trying to get the leg up on another. They used different dials, circuits, auto tuning mechanism, and cabinet designs so you could easily tell a brand Z apart from a Philco, from an RCA, from a G.E and so fourth. By the late 40s that largely went away with the consoles and eventually with the table sets as well. If you really like them you can save a set with more unique features if it is in good condition, but it just isn't worth the time to mess around with a beater or a hum drum unit with AM only and a AC/DC chassis.
Regards
Arran

I got into consoles from the other direction, time-wise. I collect and refurbish 60's and 70's hi fi gear and discovered that the tube amps in early stereo units are worth a few dollars; around $100 to $200 depending on power and brand. I bought a nice Motorolla unit for $40 that had been left outside and didn't have the heart to cannibalize it for the amp, so I restored it instead. It's a three channel unit with a 15 inch "subwoofer" in the center, and sounds pretty darn good on FM or the tape ins with digital sources. I'd like to post pics but I guess my files are too large, so search Motorola SK32W to see what it looks like.

I also have a Fisher mono model 101 I recently acquired, but that's another story.

The ones with a decent tube amp, they can be useful and some may even be collectable one day. The solid state particleboard ones are another story, I see the odd fool who thinks that their 1971 Baycrest (yes that was a name like Penncrest) or Viking with an 8 track player is some valuable antique worth $800. Those are the kind that RadioTVPhonoNut makes end of the line videos with on YouTube when they are in rough shape.
Regards
Arran

RadioTVPhonoNut is a funny guy. Consoles are back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151028471261?ssP...1438.l2649

Only in LA. Must be all the rave with the stars! Icon_crazy