Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadian made 25-40 cycle A.C. Philco Radios

... received my latest eBay purchase. Luckily, I got it cheap!! I bought it for the "shadowmeter escutcheon assembly"only to complete a US made Philco restoration. The metal chassis label is stamped (made in Toronto) model 38-09C. The cabinet paper label says it it a model 38-9C. Got the hard to find shadowmeter escutcheon assy I have been searching for, and all the internal shadowmeter assy is intact also. This radio is the old (25-40 cycles AC) as opposed to US 60-cycles on the AC line. The seller advertised the radio in working-condition in his eBay ad, but after close inspection under the chassis, I dont see how this radio could have been working at all, in the past 60 yrs period!! Doesnt really matter cause I bought it for a "parts only" Radio. If it worked as advertised, it probably didnt take long to "smoke", ( another reason to never plug-in vintage radios before careful servicing)!! I am wondering if the seller was telling the truth about his eBay listing this old Radio as "working, w/ no hums"!! Is Canada still operating on 25-40 cycles on the AC line these days?? TR

Texasrocker Wrote:I am wondering if the seller was telling the truth about his eBay listing this old Radio as "working, w/ no hums"!!
I have found that most eBay listings that state a radio "works" usually means "the tubes and dial lamp light up." Icon_confused Icon_rolleyes Icon_evil (To be fair, there are some honest sellers out there, though.)

Texasrocker Wrote:Is Canada still operating on 25-40 cycles on the AC line these days?? TR
As far as I know, no. I think they too have switched over completely to 60 cycle AC.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron, I figure Canada must be on 60 cycles AC now also!! After checking the orig 25-40 cycle orig power-trans on this Canadian made Philco, it is "fryed". I bought Canadian 37-09 cheap (same cab as US 37-8 model), full shadowmeter assy fits perfectly into my retro-fit project (37-610B) cabinet, but will have to sub a new modern PM type spkr instead of orig Philco spkr. The shadowmeter takes up too much room for orig spkr to fit over the top w/ shadowmeter assy in place inside 37-610B cab. Will have to retrofit a new spkr "baffle-board" to use a smaller pm spkr, and sub a wirewound resistor for old field-coil resistance. Will also have to mount the orig Philco spkr trans where it will fit. My orig 37-630 (6-tube) chassis w/ 3-gang tuner, should make this a great receiver if everything works out. Talk about a "retrofit" from H_ L, this is a "doozy"!! At least I am trying to save Philcos that would have been tossed otherwise!! I figure Canada must be on 60 cycles AC by now also!! No wonder if the seller plugged it in to make his eBay post, it took-out the orig pwr-trans. Funny the seller didnt mention "anything" about "smell" in his eBay listing!! (hee hee) Oh well, I got a shadowmeter escutcheon out of the deal. Those are hard to find. Nice 37-8 (US type cab), and a blown 25-40 cycle trans to-boot!! I may put another Philco (US 60 cycle) ac trans on it, and rebuild it also someday. Randal

Hi its Canada and we are on 60 cycles ac.

Hello
I have a 25 cycle AK that I have used on 60 cycle for several years with no problem. It is my understanding the 25 cycle transformer is constructed with more steal to operate cooler.