Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thoughts About My New Hobby

After around four months of collecting and restoring Philcos (and I confess one Zenith) I have decided to share some thoughts about my new hobby.
They're fairly random and unconnected so I'll just list them:

> This is fun! I've met a few "characters" and am enjoying the restoration work and listening to the finished product.
> These radios are um, affordable (I didn't want to say cheap). I traded $50 of repair work for my new 39-45, and there is less than $100, including restoration parts in my 48-86.
> I'm not hoarder, I'm a preservationist.
> I love the styling of the prewar radios, but I sure do miss FM on them. There are only three AM stations in town, two are nutball talk and the other is sports talk. I really prefer the programming and fidelity of FM.
> Grill cloth (it sure looks like re-purposed upholster fabric to me) is ridiculously overpriced and doesn't look original.
>Hooray for the folks making repro buttons and other parts.
>The variety of models, styles, features etc. is mind boggling.
Thanks to all the folks who helped me get my 48-86 looking and sounding great, and thanks to the folks who keep this site up.

I've run this subject into the ground, and I'm not sure that anyone really believes me, but I receive fm on [my] 42-400. Not the full spectrum, but from around 88-101. Good enough for me. And it sounds good. Between 8-10 stations,(one day was 12) depending on antenna position. IMO. Icon_confused:Icon_confused:Icon_confused: Seems like someone smarter than me should be able to figure out what it takes. (Of course, the dial is off, but with a little tweaking, I can actually get it to track properly. I've got it spread over 3/4 of the dial now, to give it a good "feel"). Don't care if it tracks proper. IT GETS FM! Icon_wtf Icon_shh And if you can't make it work for you, get yourself something like a Pilot T601. That'll do the trick! And look good, too!

Quote:> I love the styling of the prewar radios, but I sure do miss FM on them. There are only three AM stations in town, two are nutball talk and the other is sports talk. I really prefer the programming and fidelity of FM.

I'm with you! I'm also about 4 months into the hobby... The solution to the lack of AM stations is an AM transmitter. I bought an SSTRAN and it works great.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

RE: Pilot T-601: I actually like the Soviet styling of the 39-45, too bad it has no phono input.

Attached Files Image(s)

I feel your pain with the lack of good programming on the broadcast dial. At least I can pick up 740 am CFZM at night and get period programming when the weather cooperates. We have Sirius satellite radio, and it has some channels worthy of old sets. Just need to get a SSTRAN to launch them to the old girl! Take care, Gary.

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I use a Squeezebox to feed my babies proper programming, but the SSTRAN looks cool!

BE CAREFUL, NEW INTERSTS CAN BE ELECRIFING. NOT A JOKE.

Quote: "BE CAREFUL, NEW INTERSTS CAN BE ELECRIFING. NOT A JOKE."
=====================================================
Umm, I know about lethal voltages in tube equipment, is that what you're referring to or something else? I am already divorced, so I don't have to worry about my wife killing me if I bring home one more sad case radio.

Been there, done that, just want to keep a forum of fellow hobbiests alive as long as possible.

I'm getting a Philco console (41-608) ready to give to my co-worker as a house warming gift. It had a pull out phonograph that I just sent out to a Phorum member. In its place, I've set a Dynaco FM-5 SS tuner that is plugged into the phono input. (actually, I had to feed the cable thru the the phono jack and solder it in place.) The AC for the tuner is the AC that went to the phono. So when you push the ON/OFF button to turn the radio on and the band switch is on PHONO, when the tubes warm up, you have beautiful FM. He would never listen to AM and he'll only listen to SW when he wants to show someone what SW is. So without the FM, I'd be giving him a dust collector.

I'm familiar with the FM 5, a very nice tuner indeed. Great solution to the lack of programming on AM and what to do with those phono equipped consoles.

On a related note, both of the dial lamps were out on the tuner. They are, as I now know, fuse lamps. A guy on eBay makes replacements (from scratch) and I just installed them, in blue no less. They're great.

The SSTRAN is the way to go , also do not under estimate a good antenna, DX is fun and rewrding on a well restored set. Those with an RCA type jack let you feed an FM signal or other content too.

Regards,

Paul

Tubetalk1

The SSTRAN looks awesome! I never thought about setting up my own AM radio station before. Are those setups on Youtube legal where the range is up to 3 miles?

Do not think so, the SStrans do about your whole house, maybe your yard, anyone else know on this one?

Paul.

Tubetalk1