Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chassis screws for 89B

What would you call the chassis screws for this radio? 10-24? 10-32? Something else?

I had a repro cabinet made (will post pics soon) for my 89 (which I bought from Ron some time ago), but don't have any chassis screws that fit it. I bought some from Renovated Radio that were supposed to fit, but they do not. Perhaps I bought the small ones by mistage. That being said, I would prefer to get the right size and type of screw to complete this set.

Thank you for your time.

I *think* that #14 sheet metal screws, the kind with hex (bolt) heads, will work. They are just ever so slightly larger than the originals were, and have to be forced in the first time they are used, but after that they are fine. Pretty sure #14 is the correct size but it's early and the ol' brain is still just barely functioning at 5:30 am EDT...

Well, I just looked at the Renovated Radios page and I see the larger screws he carries are 1/4 x 1-1/2, which must be the right ones. Ed should know, he does a great job with those repro parts. I do recall the #12 is the right size for the 1939-42 and some 1935-36 models, as he states on the page.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I think the original screws were a number 14. The diameter of a number 14 screw is .242 inch, so a 1/4 inch would be close.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Of course , i'm not an expert on these Radios...But considering how old it is and the fact that the US didn't take up metric until much later, the 1/4" screw would be my guess. Also, didn't Ron say the #14 would be a little tight at first? That tells me that the US size type would probably be correct as the US and Metrics sizes are inbetween each other.

These are some sort of sheet metal screw, I don't know if they were standard or proprietary to Philco. Metric and SAE really only applies to machine screws, sheet metal ones are inbetween machine screws and wood screws in terms of thread pitch.
Regards
Arran

Yes, the threads are difinitely different than machine screws, But the thickness of the shafts are also different between metric an sae. Good Luck finding the right one.

Like I said, that's why God invented our friend, the tap and die set.

Most Tap and Die sets are for machine screws , and also still in either metric or sae.... back to the same problem.Icon_eek

I would use the 1/4 inch diameter sheet metal screws, they will work just fine.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes